Hometalk.com

Cool Projects 03.12.14

Crochet T-shirt Rug

With an array of XXL Men's t-shirts from the thrift shop and large size crochet hook, you can create a beautiful and functional addition to your home in the form of a heavy-duty spot rug. Best of all, crochet is easily portable, so grab the t-shirt yarn and work on this project on the road! #homecrafts
Time: 4 Days Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.1dogwoof.com/2012/08/crochet-rug-from-t-shirts.html

66 Comments Displaying 15 of 66 comments | See Previous
  • Karen Carter Lovell, WY
    I have been using old sheets works good have one in my bathroom my dog likes to lay on it
  • Lynn Alexander Hudson, FL
    when I was a kid we made them from old stockings
  • Sarah Kays Wittmann, AZ
    can you post instructions i really want to try i have never crochet and would like to do this and any other projects like the sheet and the hula hoop for my dogs thanks
    • ChiWei Poughkeepsie, NY
      Sarah Kays Hi Sarah, the post that is linked has instructions. I also have posts for crochet tutorials available on my blog. Hope that helps!
  • Just lay the undershirt out flat.. cut 1inch rings from the bottom of the shirt.. it will be a ring. Put your foot in the ring and Pull Up.. do the same as u go along. when done doing that take a piece from the arm and tie the rings together.. and there
  • Isis Alayola Sneads Ferry, NC
    THANKS, MY DAUGTHER WILL ENJOY MADE THIS RUG.
  • Debbie Frankfort, KY
    you can make baskets with strips of cloth too!
  • Chris B Hoopeston, IL
    I have been wanting to try this. One piece of advice I was given, was to use shirts with NO side seams. Did you use this kind of shirt? or Did you have any trouble with the side seams?
    • ChiWei Poughkeepsie, NY
      Chris B I thought all shirts would have at least 1 side seam? I don't remember what shirts I used, but I didn't have any issues with the strips curling up, and if there were side seams, it
  • Julie Birt-Thueson Idaho Falls, ID
    My Aunt made me a rug to fit in front of my odd shaped kitchen cabinets (sink portion) which were really long and red. She used red white and gray. I loved that rug and one time I took it to the Laundromat to wash in the large washer and someone stole it
  • Paulette Elgin, IL
    My mom used to make these out of bread bags back in the day.
  • Char J Virginia Beach, VA
    Beautiful! I have two rag rugs my maternal grandmother made by braiding strips of fabric together, then sewing the braids. She passed in 1925, so they're quite old.
    • ChiWei Poughkeepsie, NY
      Char J I want to try the braided rugs too, but am not looking forward to the sewing!
  • Kim Bahr Fort Leonard Wood, MO
    I have a huge area rung and a small kitchen sink one made from jeans. I bought them from a crafter at a fair that uses all kinds of materials. I love it have had it for over ten years and still looks amazing. machine washable too