Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Board and batten height

07.15.13
Are there "rules" on how high you should make a board and batten wall feature or is it just personal preference? I have a couple of rooms I'd like to do this in and could go different heights but don't want it to look odd if too low/high.
7 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 7 of 7 comments
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    I really think it is a matter of personal preference. I always followed the rule of thumb that it should be standard chair rail height in a kitchen or dining room. (36-40") give or take an inch. If this is for living room or bedroom, it is very common
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Dawn Pridham
    Thanks, it's for the kitchen and bathroom, so I wasn't too sure. In the kitchen is where I am really wondering because of our upper cabinets. Don't want to go too high but then won't it look odd if it's higher than a chair rail but lower than the top of
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    Apparently I am very old fashioned..lol..it looks like anything goes nowadays! Here are some examples of just how high people are taking it! So as I said..it is your preference that matters!
  • Dawn Pridham
    wow thanks so much for your help. And your not old fashioned, just vintagely inspired lol
  • Dawn Pridham
    i see from your profile that you are an art student. Did you see the post today on barn quilt squares? So pretty
  • Mary L
    Mary L Mayville, MI
    My rule would be lower than the lowest light switch OR higher than the highest light switch. I took OUT a chair rail that ran THROUGH the switches. It just looked dumb. Hope this helps.
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    Who would run a chair rail THROUGH a light switch??? That's just silly! I would have taken it out too! I once moved into a home with the strangest walls I have ever seen! The former owners had left paneling...yes paneling at the top and sheet rocked the
Dawn Pridham

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing