Hometalk.com

03.30.14

What architectural style is my house

I am beginning to think about outdoor lighting and landscaping and I am having a very difficult time determining what style my house is so that I can treat it appropriately. In looking at web resources, I think it may be craftsman or bungalow but I'm still not convinced. It was built in 2003 and is on a road with mostly ranch style homes.
49 Comments Displaying 15 of 49 comments | See Previous
  • Carol M Gig Harbor, WA
    My first thought was Ranch, but I think you can make it whatever you like..
  • Brooke Santa Fe, NM
    I think it's a Cape Cod style bungalow. the garage appears to be large, which confuses the style a bit.
  • Lori Choman Auburn, GA
    Terry Knowing that you are in Covington GA and that the favorite style of house around here built in the last 30 years is ranch...You have a modified Ranch. Here's a link...click on Ranch and if
  • Lori J Broken Bow, NE
    You might consider an element like a trellis over the garage with some vining uo to if rom the left side of the garage. I don't know that I would light both sides due to asymmetric placement of your door. http://www.flickr.com/photos/42072247@N07/38...
  • Pat Dareneau Holly Ridge, NC
    rancher
  • Laura James Dawsonville, GA
    Definitely a Ranch on a crawlspace or slab. Before I do anything I would run 4" black corrugated pipe underground from all of your downspouts and get that water away from your house and foundation before you start having problems or erosion issues.
  • shirleyhouston Goodland, KS
    Ranch
  • SHOWCASE REMODELING Philadelphia, PA
    Rancher for sure.....I would use white lights

http://smartbuildingdesigns.blogspot.com

• SHOWCASE REMODELING Philadelphia, PA
    We don't have many houses like yours in Philly , but I like it

http://showcaseremodeling.blogspot.com

• It looks a bit eclectic in style, but I don't see the architectural features that you'd see on the craftsman or bungalow styles. I see a ranch (lower pitched roof, one story) that was designed with traditional features - it sort of has a one story
  • Avery Crain Chesapeake, VA
    The property is really quite nice, and indicative of Ranch/country style...but the overwhelming garage really throws the visual weight off. Continuing the rock around the front of garage, midway up would soften the look. A small rock corner round-wall
  • Paula Bedard Sunderland, MD
    What style? All yours. =)

I love the open floor plans of ranch style homes. I grew up in a raised ranch with a basement. Large open rooms even with

• The deep porch and low roof lend itself to a Craftsman but it's really more of a ranch/country style. As far as lighting goes, simple is best...like the Mission style...clean lines...Your front yard has all the beginnings of something
  • Garage overwhelms very nice, cosy-looking home. If you have $, I'd lower the garage roof. Otherwise, I agree with A. Crain about breaking up garage's visual mass. I'd continue the dark grey from house across the garage at the same level. I'd also put in
  • Likes

Karen K SonjaRenee Vicki Terry Brenda tharp Bev Deborah Aziz DeDee Smith