Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

10 Tips for Mixing Patterns Like a Master!

Awesome Remodels 05.12.14
I used to be so afraid to mix patterns. In fact, I thought if I used a pattern of any sort I was big time! But after a bit of research and a lot of practice, I feel much more comfortable with the concept. Here are my top 10 tips for mixing patterns if you're just starting out.

As you read below, keep in mind that the various patterns and colors don’t need to “match” each other, they just need to “go” together.

1. Work with an odd number of patterns

Odd numbers tend to look best, so if you’re going to play with patterns, start with three different patterns in three different scales. Once you’ve mastered the key to mixing patterns, try for five!

2. Use varying scales of pattern

Incorporate varying scales to the space so that the prints don’t compete with one another. Sticking with the rule of three, pick one large, one medium and one small pattern to work with. For example, try one large floral/organic pattern, plus one medium geometric, plus

To see more: http://tidbitsandtwine.com/10-tips-for-mixing-patterns-like-a-master/

2 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 2 of 2 comments
  • Alexandra Arena
    Alexandra Arena Forest Hills, NY
    Awesome tips, Kim! :)
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Kim {Tidbits&Twine}
    Kim {Tidbits&Twine} Danville, CA
    Thank you, Alexandra Arena !
Kim {Tidbits&Twine}
  • Likes

L.E. & Company Sharon @ mrs. hines class Sabrina T Ashley Jamie @ So Much Better With Age