You CAN Paint a Vinyl Upholstered Chair! With AS Chalk Paint

07.09.15
I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Pure White to paint an old, tired looking, vinyl chair. I used a darling Laurel Wreath Stencil to detail the chair and waxed the whole thing with AS clear wax. I buffed the wax immediately after applying it to the chair. Then I added another coat of wax and buffed that too. Dipped legs added a fun detail too. #chair #chairmakeover #paintedupholstery #chalkpaint #stencil
  • I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White to paint this chair. I used Paris Grey to do the stencil. And topped it all with Annie Sloan's clear wax.
  • I painted the legs the same white as the chair, then used frog tape to tape them off and painted the bottom part Paris Grey to give them a dipped leg look.
  • Here is the before. You can see the difference in color as I had already started painting. I only did one coat of paint because it looked fine with only one coat. It covered the grime and the rough cracks.
  • I sanded the chair lightly after painting as sanding turns this paint silky smooth. 2 coats of wax, buffing each coat immediately after applying created a look and feel of leather.
  • The chair is wearing very well. It has been sat on and played on and jumped and bounced on by my 3 girls and is not cracking yet. It has been in some humidity but the wax does not turn sticky or tacky and does not come off on clothes

To see more: http://www.sewafineseam.com/2013/07/painting-a-vinyl-upholstered-chair/

• The Palette Blog by Unfolded
    Amazing transformation Jill! We <3 it!
  • Laurajean
    Laurajean Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    Thank you. Really nice job. Now that school had started, my waiting projects will resume as well. Perfect timing to find this post. I'm loving your rug too!!
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen Wichita, KS
    I had an old orange vinyl chair given to me and read a post on interest about chalk painting it and that chair was so beautiful that I had to try it. The day I started it I read through her blog one more time and was heart broken to find that her chair
    • Jill F
      Jill F Covington, OH
      Kathleen Mine did just fine for the weeks I had it in my home - my girls climbed all over it and sat in it all the time. I sold it at show I did - it hadn't shown the slightest
  • Sarah Ann Semsch
    Sarah Ann Semsch Andover, KS
    Thanks for responding and I will paint one again if I find one. They just are so amazing.
  • Joyce Haragsim
    Joyce Haragsim Las Vegas, NV
    You have given a great idea to paint my very dark brown/red chair into a cheery red.
Jill F