You CAN Paint a Vinyl Upholstered Chair! With AS Chalk Paint

Muebles lindos 01.28.16
I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Pure White to paint an old, tired looking, vinyl chair. I used a darling Laurel Wreath Stencil to detail the chair and waxed the whole thing with AS clear wax. I buffed the wax immediately after applying it to the chair. Then I added another coat of wax and buffed that too. Dipped legs added a fun detail too. makeover
For this old vinyl chair I used thinned down chalk paint to freshen it. I then use clear wax as a finish - buffing immediately as I put the wax on - working in small areas waxing and buffing both.
The legs were painted the same as the chair and then 'dipped' in grey paint.
The before here shows how old and dingy the chair looked. The paint made it look refreshed!
The paint cracks a bit as it wears - but doesn't flake off - it wears like an old buttery leather bomber jacket! To see the amazing after come on over to the blog!

To see more: http://www.sewafineseam.com/2013/07/painting-a-vinyl-upholstered-chair/

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Kathleen
    Kathleen Wichita, KS
    I had an old orange vinyl chair given to me and read a post on interest about chalk painting it and that chair was so beautiful that I had to try it. The day I started it I read through her blog one more time and was heart broken to find that her chair
    • Jill F
      Jill F Covington, OH
      Kathleen Mine did just fine for the weeks I had it in my home - my girls climbed all over it and sat in it all the time. I sold it at show I did - it hadn't shown the slightest
  • Sarah Ann Semsch
    Sarah Ann Semsch Andover, KS
    Thanks for responding and I will paint one again if I find one. They just are so amazing.
  • Joyce Haragsim
    Joyce Haragsim Las Vegas, NV
    You have given a great idea to paint my very dark brown/red chair into a cheery red.
  • Karen Reilly
    Karen Reilly Sunapee, NH
    I have an old striped chair that is made out of fabric would this chalk paint work on that?
    • Jill F
      Jill F Covington, OH
      Karen Reilly I'm sure it would work - the biggest thing I would consider is how dark the fabric is in color. If it's very dark it can be hard to cover if you want to go with a
  • Colleen Lusignan
    Can you use ASCP on a cheap version of leather that has many crackes?
    • Jill F
      Jill F Covington, OH
      Colleen Lusignan I've not done that but I'm sure you could with the same results as this vinyl chair I painted.
Jill F