Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

You CAN Paint a Vinyl Upholstered Chair! With AS Chalk Paint

DIY 7 days ago
I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Pure White to paint an old, tired looking, vinyl chair. I used a darling Laurel Wreath Stencil to detail the chair and waxed the whole thing with AS clear wax. I buffed the wax immediately after applying it to the chair. Then I added another coat of wax and buffed that too. Dipped legs added a fun detail too.

To see more: http://www.sewafineseam.com/2013/07/painting-a-vinyl-upholstered-chair/

68 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 68 comments | See Previous
  • Nancy Hebert
    Nancy Hebert Hemphill, TX
    I wonder if I could do this with my recliner? I sit in it daily. How would it hold up? My recliner looks like the devel, but is still super comfy.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Accentuations! Sallie Homza
    Do you prefer Anne Sloan or something else? How funny! I bought my table at a barn sale last fall for...$2! coincidence! And we're both in Ohio. Great antique bargains here!
    • Jill F
      Jill F Covington, OH
      Accentuations! Sallie Homza I use Annie Sloan and I do love it. I have found out that it's really not all natural ingredients like it was said to be and that makes me sad. But it's a good
  • Accentuations! Sallie Homza
    It turns out that there is a place in Millersburg at an antique mall. It's about an hour away and I usually go out that way once or twice in the warm weather. When I do, I will get a quart and try it...then maybe I can let you know what I think!
  • Germaine Fraser
    Will painting vinyl chair in Paris Grey make the chair darker with clear wax ?
    • Kate Allen
      Kate Allen Westport, CT
      Germaine Fraser Hi, It depends on the wax you use. So, if you leave the chair just plain with either of the chalk paints mentioned, it will be a dull chalky finish. Not a bad look - it depends on
  • Kate Allen
    Kate Allen Westport, CT
    You inspired me to paint a chair. I used Amy Howard's Selznick Gray paint (same quality as AS, but $10 a can less expensive) If you dilute whatever paint you use with water, the fabric will remain softer. So far so good with mine. I then used the same
  • Jill F
    Jill F Covington, OH
    Yay Kate Allen ! That's great :) I love how you can give furniture the look and feel of leather with this!
  • Kate Allen
    Kate Allen Westport, CT
    Thanks Jill! I love Amy Howard's products for this. She has now come out with new antique waxes. I just ordered them and am excited to try. K
  • Heather (The Wilson Farm)
    Gosh this is so pretty! I love the dipped look of the legs! I'm going to have to try that. I painted a couch about two years ago and still use it to this day. It still looks the same as the day I painted it. :) I love trying to make things beautiful on a
  • Annie Sloan Unfolded
    Amazing transformation Jill! We <3 it!
  • Laurajean
    Laurajean Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    Thank you. Really nice job. Now that school had started, my waiting projects will resume as well. Perfect timing to find this post. I'm loving your rug too!!
Jill F