You CAN Paint a Vinyl Upholstered Chair! With AS Chalk Paint

I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Pure White to paint an old, tired looking, vinyl chair. I used a darling Laurel Wreath Stencil to detail the chair and waxed the whole thing with AS clear wax. I buffed the wax immediately after applying it to the chair. Then I added another coat of wax and buffed that too. Dipped legs added a fun detail too. #chair #chairmakeover #paintedupholstery #chalkpaint #stencil
  • I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White to paint this chair. I used Paris Grey to do the stencil. And topped it all with Annie Sloan's clear wax.
  • I painted the legs the same white as the chair, then used frog tape to tape them off and painted the bottom part Paris Grey to give them a dipped leg look.
  • Here is the before. You can see the difference in color as I had already started painting. I only did one coat of paint because it looked fine with only one coat. It covered the grime and the rough cracks.
  • I sanded the chair lightly after painting as sanding turns this paint silky smooth. 2 coats of wax, buffing each coat immediately after applying created a look and feel of leather.
  • The chair is wearing very well. It has been sat on and played on and jumped and bounced on by my 3 girls and is not cracking yet. It has been in some humidity but the wax does not turn sticky or tacky and does not come off on clothes

To see more: http://www.sewafineseam.com/2013/07/painting-a-vinyl-upholstered-chair/

• Jill F
    Jill F Covington, OH
    Kate Allen - the stencil came from Royal Design Studio!
  • Kate Allen
    Kate Allen Westport, CT
    Great job! Where did you buy the stencil from? Thanks!
  • Lisa Ray/Life Can Be Simple
    loved it
  • Susan Ricke
    Susan Ricke Greensburg, IN
    I am now on the hunt for a vinyl chair. I want to stencil french phrases onto it. Can't wait!
    • Jill F
      Jill F Covington, OH
      Susan Ricke I hope you found one! Did you get it done yet? If you shared it here on Hometalk send me the link cause I wanna see it!
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Jill F Super! Thank you for that feedback Jill! I am pleased to hear it. I really didn't enjoy the feel or look of the latex, so this? Might be a "Go"! Many Thanks once again! xo
  • Jill F
    Jill F Covington, OH
    Sia@South 47th - I waxed it with Annie Sloan's clear wax and buffed it - it feels like leather. It sits great - I took this with me to an event I did last weekend and my daughter
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Jill F I think I'd use a DIY chalk paint for $$ reasons. But I'm really curious as to how the chair "Feels" once painted? I had no luck with the Latex painted chair. It just felt crappy, and really didn't look great either.
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Jill F Wow I had NO idea chalk paint could be used!!!! Outstanding job you've done! Hopping over to your blog (again) :)
  • Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air
    It's very stunning, had no idea that could be done. Thanks for sharing!
  • Jill F
    Jill F Covington, OH
    This chair was a tired looking cream before. I thought I forgot to take a before shot but I dug around and found one I snapped right after I started painting. I've updated the blog post!
  • Jill F
    Jill F Covington, OH
    Irmgard I don't think it should matter what color it is - might take more coats to cover if it is darker but you should be able to get it covered.
  • Irmgard Saunders
    Irmgard Saunders Pearland, TX
    This is a great idea, thank you for sharing! I love how it turned out. Does the original vinyl chair has to have a light color to cover it or could it be any color??
  • Elaine Simmons
    Elaine Simmons Florence, AZ
    On Youtube Annie Sloan demonstrates painting a fabric chair. She said the trick is to wet the fabric first, dip your brush in water and then paint so it soaks in. Then she waxes it. Have not tried it myself so not sure how well it works. l love your chair!
  • Alexandra Arena
    Alexandra Arena Forest Hills, NY
    Very pretty chair, Jill!
  • Linda
    Linda Fredericksburg, VA
    When transitioning something please show before photos too...would love to see the chair prior to painting
Jill F

Search Feedback