My Dragon Wing Begonias Are Really Showing Out!

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I have overwintered these Dragon Wings for two years. I can't believe that they are still doing so well. I simply cut them back and place them in a corner of our garage where they get northeast light exposure in the morning from a nearby window. I water occasionally.....but not too much. I don't want them to start growing too soon. Last winter was very mild here and they did start to grow....very spindly....and I was concerned that they would die when I put the pots out on the porch in the spring. I added some rich potting soil and some soil conditioner and dug it into the first few inches, working carefully around the plants. I trimmed back the longest stems because they were so weak. I waited a couple of weeks to fertilize for fear that it would shock them. It took them a while to firm up and green up and sprout new stems, but just look at them now!
  • Love, Love, Love Dragon Wing Begonias. My black eyed susan vine is beginning to bloom and climb. These plants get morning sun until around 11:00 AM
  • Marie S
    Marie S Canada
    those are beautiful, but they would grow here on Vancouver Island, BC
  • Valerie M
    Valerie M Independence, MO
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks, Valerie. They are great performers. Not very demanding, either. What's not to love about them? :)
  • Teresa D
    Teresa D Snellville, GA
    I did not realize how great this plant was until this year. I won one. It was beautiful all season. Just bloomed and bloomed. I wish I had thought about overwintering it. I plan to buy more next season.
  • Luis
    Luis East Haven, CT
    Pat they look wonderful, mine are all gone
Pat aka Queen of Thrift

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post