Hometalk.com

11.07.13

My Dragon Wing Begonias Are Really Showing Out!

I have overwintered these Dragon Wings for two years. I can't believe that they are still doing so well. I simply cut them back and place them in a corner of our garage where they get northeast light exposure in the morning from a nearby window. I water occasionally.....but not too much. I don't want them to start growing too soon. Last winter was very mild here and they did start to grow....very spindly....and I was concerned that they would die when I put the pots out on the porch in the spring. I added some rich potting soil and some soil conditioner and dug it into the first few inches, working carefully around the plants. I trimmed back the longest stems because they were so weak. I waited a couple of weeks to fertilize for fear that it would shock them. It took them a while to firm up and green up and sprout new stems, but just look at them now!
14 Comments Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    Beautiful!
  • Nancy Hand Enigma, GA
    Wow very pretty!!
  • Luis East Haven, CT
    I love these begonias they grow so fast, yours are beautiful, I have some in the window boxes and I am afraid they going to tilt them they are so big
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Wow Pat, what a beautiful specimen!
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks everyone! I would say that they are perfectly happy where they are.
  • Those are the best looking begonias I've ever seen. I don't grow themself as we are just too hot and dry.
    I did not realize that it was that hot and dry in Canada. I have never been to Canada but all the photos that I have seen it is a beautiful area. What area do you live in?
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Gorgeous. Those are catalog-worthy begonias.
    Thanks! They are great performers that do not require a lot of care......another outstanding feature!
  • Marie S Canada
    those are beautiful, but they would grow here on Vancouver Island, BC
  • Valerie M Independence, MO
    Beautiful!!!
    Thanks, Valerie. They are great performers. Not very demanding, either. What's not to love about them? :)
  • Teresa D Snellville, GA
    I did not realize how great this plant was until this year. I won one. It was beautiful all season. Just bloomed and bloomed. I wish I had thought about overwintering it. I plan to buy more next season.
  • Luis East Haven, CT
    Pat they look wonderful, mine are all gone