Hometalk.com

re-purpose pallets Yesterday

Make a Pallet Fence that will cost you nothing

Pallets can be found so many places for free. And you can make all kind of great things from them. We have made this from light weight pallets. Here goes: Drill some supporting pallet boards to the walls - like 2 or 3 on top of each other. Drill the first pallet you see on the left of the picture to the supporting boards. Drill the following pallets to the previous. Do the same on the opposite side. If you do not have a wall to fix it on, then find a log that you can put down in the ground to fix it to. On the pallet you will use for a gate place some strong hinges and a lock on the other side. For extra support put some boards or small logs in the front and/or back to keep it solid. Happy hunting and building
Time: 4 Hours Difficulty: Easy
42 Comments Displaying 15 of 42 comments | See Previous
  • Susan Recycle Paus Chicago Heights, IL
    Try contacting your local disposal company, sometimes they get pallets they're tossing...
  • Laurie Sedalia, MO
    I did something like this once. My horses were using a utility pole as a scratching post. They had it bent over a little by the time I noticed. I used t-posts and slid pallets over the posts. Worked like a charm.
  • Lola M. Marsal Hixson, TN
    Would make good trellises!
  • Julie Dever Columbia, SC
    Check with your local tile distributor or sales store. That's where we get them free.
  • Sheleen Mozambique
    How have you secured them into the ground? - I have put some up to direct customers to the toilet area, buried about one plank high in a sea sand area but they are very wobbly.
    • S137 Clarksburg, MD
      @Sheleen, we did not secure them into the ground at all. We used self-tapping deck screws (like drywall screws, but will not rust) and screwed them to each other in a zig-zag pattern. Self
  • We also put down some planks as you can see on the right side of the dog - our ground is very hard so I guess thats why its not wobbly at all - in see sand I probably would support two pallets against each other like a trellis besides planks in the
  • Sheleen Mozambique
    @S137 Brilliant this sounds so easy - I will give it a try and let you know - thank you
  • Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    What a great idea! And one person's "trash" is another's "treasure". I love the natural look. I have an area I've been wanting to which I wanted to add more "privacy", this would fill the bill. And I could add climbing roses or vines of some type. Thanks
  • NancyJ Alamogordo, NM
    I like it, especially lined with wire fence. We have problems with coyotes and heat here in the desert Southwest. This would be especially helpful to protect any fowl and I bet you could use it for a covered area for shade and air flow. Great Idea.
  • Shannon Maroney Glasford, IL
    i think this awesome, i am wanting to put a fence up and i like this alot, different and cost effective. thanks for sharing.
  • Anna Ibarra San Antonio, TX
    I love this so much, but my yard goes in a slope and not sure who to do this. But really would be such a neat idea.
  • KELLY TAYLOR Duffield, VA
    You can also use fencing 'T' posts to brace them vertically... just drive them into the ground as they go right thru the slats. You can also use a 'T' post for the 'hinges' - just put one T-post at the very end and, voila!...you have a hinge. I'm
  • This looks awesome!