Growing White Pumpkins

White pumpkins have become very popular in decorating for fall, but they can be hard to find and quite expensive. So we decided to try growing our own. I've put together some tips that I've learned from research and experience so that you can grow some too!
  • You will need a large space for your pumpkin patch!
  • Pumpkins need at least 90-100 days to grow and mature.
  • Planting different varieties assures you of some success.
  • Pumpkins have male and female blossoms and only the female blossoms develop pumpkins. Bees are essential for pollination.
  • Pumpkins are heavy feeders so they will need to be fertilized once the fruit starts growing.

To see more:

• Amber
    Amber Duarte, CA
    what season are you supposed to plant white pumpkins?
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Amber We planted these about mid-July last year, but in some places, they would need to be planted a little earlier. We live in South Carolina.
  • Evelyn
    Evelyn Lovell, WY
    Though I planted 4 varieties, my pumpkins did not do well this year. We seem to have a shortage of bees. Cucumbers didn't produce much either. My small ornamental ones did fairly well but I only got about 13 pumpkins out of all of those plants, and no
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Evelyn Our cucumbers did not do well this year either. After we planted them, we had a light frost and some of the tiny plants got burned. After that, they got off to a slow start
  • Evelyn
    Evelyn Lovell, WY
    No, I bought and planted new white heirloom pumpkin seeds. I don't know what happened unless they just crossed in my garden with the other pumpkins.
  • Carol Knudson Westfall
    I am growing white pumpkins from the seeds of the one I got last year from the local pumpkin patch for Halloween. I have a few growing on the vine, but they are very yellow and not white! Is this normal?
  • Carol Knudson Westfall
    How interesting! I figured it might be something like that. I am growing the seeds from all three varieties of the pumpkins I got at the pumpkin patch last year. Just for fun. I'm happy with yellow ones if that's what they are going to be! :-)
Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post