53 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 31 of 53 comments | See Previous
  • Italybound Pat Rescue-Volunteer
    Are white pumpkins genetically modified?
  • Monica Koch
    Monica Koch South Wayne, WI
    I had no idea you had to feed them. I will be trying this next year. Thanks for sharing the great tips. Happy Autumn to you @Jane!!
  • Marva Sims
    Marva Sims Waterville, WA
    I have regular pumpkins growing ,they are about the size of your white pumpkin above, do you think they still have time to turn orange? I planted them in late june . we had a cool spring.
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Marva Sims It will all depend on where you live and when you will have your first frost. A frost will kill the vines so you would need to harvest them before that happens. In South Carolina we don't expect frost until November.
    • Marva Sims
      Marva Sims Waterville, WA
      Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads Well Im hoping they make it, I live in Waterville Washington. My grandsons are very excited to have pumpkins for Halloween So I hope they turn orange in time, Thanks so much.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    How very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a white pumpkin, something to add to my seed list. The real trick to growing prolific pumpkins is to plan in advance, where you're going to plant, these guys sprawl like crazy. And add rich, organic
  • Nancy
    Nancy Tiffin, OH
    How do I ensure that different varieties planted together won't cross pollinate? I have seen very interesting pins on pinterest showing the plants climbing a trellis and then the fruit hangs down as it grows. . I want to try it but I don't want some
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Nancy From what I've read, cross-pollination does not affect the seeds that you plant the first year so you can grow different varieties together. Now, if you save seeds from the
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      Nancy what Jane said is correct, however if you have the space, just plant them well apart, on opposites sides of your yard if possible. That way you have a good chance to avoid
  • Elma Riedstra
    Elma Riedstra Mendon, MI
    Love the white pumpkins!! I will have to try next year. We already have orange ones. The kids are so excited!! Where did you buy the seeds for the white one??
  • Cookie sheldon
    Cookie sheldon Ashtabula, OH
    I never planted pumpkins. Would love to have some of your white ones. Do you think you could ship to me? HAHAHAHA! I wish
  • Debra Peters
    Debra Peters Mesa, AZ
    I had beautiful vines but didn't get a single pumpkin - same thing with pole beans - lots of vines, lots of blooms - not a single fruit!!! :-(
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Debra Peters Tomatoes and peppers have single flowers instead of male and female flowers and the wind usually takes care of the pollination of those. I'm not sure about sunflowers, though.
  • Vivienne @ The V Spot
    Vivienne @ The V Spot Los Alamitos, CA
    I wish, wish, WISH we had space to do this!
  • Patricia W
    Patricia W Eugene, OR
    WOW!!!! We grew the gigantic pumpkins this year, I would LOVE to do the white ones next season!
  • Jayme
    Jayme Bountiful, UT
    This is my second year of trying to grow white pumpkins...I'm able to get them like all my other veggies at the garden center (not lowes or HD). For some reason I just can get them to continue to grow or produce any pumpkins. Should I buy more than one
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Jayme That may be a good idea to grow more than one plant. I have a few plants that have yet to form any fruit. So to assure some success, I would plant several. This is my first year growing white ones so I will know more next year!
  • Evelyn
    Evelyn Lovell, WY
    It seems that there are always a lot of male blossoms that come and go before the female ones ever come on, so planting several assures you more male and female blossoms blooming at the same time. I planted white, baby and larger ones this year. Am just
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Evelyn Hope you found some nice surprises when you arrived home! We planted the blue Jarradale pumpkins this summer but we were a little late getting them in the ground. Maybe we'll have some blue pumpkins at Thanksgiving!
  • Amber
    Amber Duarte, CA
    what season are you supposed to plant white pumpkins?
  • Evelyn
    Evelyn Lovell, WY
    Though I planted 4 varieties, my pumpkins did not do well this year. We seem to have a shortage of bees. Cucumbers didn't produce much either. My small ornamental ones did fairly well but I only got about 13 pumpkins out of all of those plants, and no
    • Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads
      Evelyn Our cucumbers did not do well this year either. After we planted them, we had a light frost and some of the tiny plants got burned. After that, they got off to a slow start
  • Evelyn
    Evelyn Lovell, WY
    No, I bought and planted new white heirloom pumpkin seeds. I don't know what happened unless they just crossed in my garden with the other pumpkins.
Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing