Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Over-wintering in a pot or plant now?

12.24.13
Is it best to over-winter some perennials - hens-and-chicks, astilbe, salvia, butterfly bush, ice-plant - or to plant in the ground for the winter?

I'm located about 20 miles north of NYC and able to keep the potted plants close to the house if that would help them over-winter.

17 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 17 comments | See Previous
  • Sensible Gardening and Living
    Plants prefer to be iin the ground but many can also be wintered over in pots. A few basic rules to follow will help with your success:
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Lela
    Lela Mount Morris, IL
    If they are rated for your zone, I would leave them alone. I don't mulch anything ( I live in N.IL and our winters can be harsh some years ). If you have some perennials in pots, you can dig a hole & plant the pot with the plant in it. ..... something I
  • Catherine Timmis-Daugherty
    Catherine Timmis-Daugherty New Braunfels, TX
    You can cover with mulch or straw, keep them insulated basically. Chicks are like cacti. Due to their high water content, they can get the cold really bad and then they go soggy and can rot away.
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    One thing to be aware of for cacti and succulents is that they can indeed rot if left out in torrential rain that is ongoing for more than a few days as it does not give the plant a chance to dry out and leaves it with wet feet - leading to rot. Good
  • Margaret Welker
    Margaret Welker Angleton, TX
    If they are rated for your location to be in the ground it would be OK to plant them but make sure they are covered in mulch before the harsh weather comes. Something like succulents I'm not sure. You could call a reputable nursery (not a garden center
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Aside, possibly, from the hen and chicks, all of those plants will come through the winter better in the ground than in pots.
    • Sylvia Myers
      Sylvia Myers Albuquerque, NM
      Douglas Hunt I've had very good success in pots for numerous cactii (until they get so heavy to carry)! They take very little root room. 2 of mine are from Arizona. One got about 4' tall before I had to give it away, since I could no longer move it.
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Sylvia Myers I could keep them in a pot year 'round here in Florida, too, but Pat lives 20 miles north of New York City.
  • Lelanda Muzzell
    I live in Ontario Canada..and believe me Hen and chick will live in pots or in the flower bed..LoL But If am sure there are different kinds as well!
  • Drought Smart Plants
    You can see my posts on Sempervivum here that might give you some ideas;

http://www.hometalk.com/2220334/sempervivum-...

• Heather (New House New Home)
    I have a pot of hens & chicks that I move into my unheated garage for the winter (along with a Japanese maple in another pot). It survives quite well there. But if the plants are already in the ground, leave them. They should be fine in your climate
  • Somewhat Quirky
    Somewhat Quirky Grosse Pointe, MI
    I have found that my hens and chicks do best when I leave them outside and ignore them for the winter. When I bring them inside they kind of freak out and start growing abnormally. I have friends that grow them in bird baths and they flourish there. They
    • Drought Smart Plants
      Somewhat Quirky Any kind of Sempervivum, and many Sedum are fine outdoors; Echeveria, Pachyphytum and those type are all tender, so they're treated as houseplants for the winter.
  • Coco Tree Service Corp
    Whether to bring your succulents inside to leave them out during the winter will depend on your weather and the plants. Some will over winter well such as theButterfly Bush and will only need to be trimmed back and mulch.
Pat C

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing