Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
decorating 08.13.14

Unique Chandelier Crafted From a Fallen Branch and Edison Style Lights

While strolling through Brooklyn on a recent visit to see my daughter and my brand new grandbaby, we spotted a fallen limb from a large sycamore tree. It was lodged into the fencing surrounding the base of the tree and part of the sidewalk that had been heaved up by the expanding roots of the tree. Although my daughter laughed as I pointed to the limb and said “We need that!” she not only worked it loose from the fencing but then carried it on her shoulder for more than ten blocks, back to her apartment. I just want to note – strolling around with a large branch on your shoulder makes the normally aloof New Yorker smile and engage in conversation.

The branch had such a lovely organic shape and wonderful patina that we both immediately saw its potential for an amazing chandelier over their table, for which they have been in search.

Since hubby was due to arrive the following day we had him throw in some lighting supplies, including five Edison style light bulbs. Then a few days later we were dinning under this beautiful organic/industrial chandelier.

Finally we added a dimmer switch the chandelier could be adjusted lower for ambiance or raised higher for illumination.

To see more: http://blueantlerstudio.com/organicindustrial-chandelier/

4 Comments Displaying 4 of 4 comments
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    I love it! Very original. I would however exercise caution in picking up fallen tree limbs as they often fall for a reason which may be that they are infested with something or the tree is unhealthy due to an insect infestation. I would only urge anyone
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Pamela Bendall
    Pamela Bendall Memphis, TN
    I would love this for outside over the patio
  • Kathy@ blueantlerstudio.com
    So true Carole and care should always be taken when repurposing found items. This branch was a victim of Hurricane Sandy and was in beautiful condition.
Kathy@ blueantlerstudio.com