Hometalk.com

10.03.13

Outdoor potted plants brought indoors for winter?

does anyone know of ways to rid bugs from the soil of potted plants i had outdoors but need to come inside for the winter?
19 Comments Displaying 15 of 19 comments | See Previous
  • Luis East Haven, CT
    I use this method found on E-how Instructions :

Inspect the pot for slugs or snails stuck to it. Wipe them off with an old rag or pick them off.

• Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I like the double spray of insecticidal soap advocated by Clemson University:

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants...

• Johnathan Bing Decatur, GA
    thanks for the replys i am futher researching all of your suggestions.esp. yours Mr Douglas Hunt
  • Virginia T Queen City, TX
    I use soapy water on my plants a couple of times before bringing them in and it seems to to rid them of ants and other insects.
  • Carolyn Vermillion Elizabethton, TN
    I like to mix Liquid sevin and when the plants needs watering I put the pot in the bucket of the mix--several times before I bring them inside if I get started early enough . I also like to spray the leaves at the same time. i make sure hanging plants
  • ByLightOfMoon Warne, NC
    Great answers! Smiles, Cyndi
  • Joanne Rochester, NY
    I give the pots and plants a bath using Dawn detergent and water. Rinse really well. I've never had a problem bringing plants indoors.
  • if you use a solution of 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water it will kill fungus knats and most other creepy crawlies.
  • I used water with soap and some mint essential oil
  • Gu3mom Stockbridge, GA
    I have a HUGE, old African Milk Tree that has to come in soon for the winter. Repotting is just not realistic as the thing is gigantic and difficult to handle. Wrapping it is also questionable due to size and prickly surface. Ideally, it would live
  • Tabby Orem, UT
    I slowly dunk all my plants down in a bucket of water. (moving slowly keeps soil from being disturbed too much, I have rock mulch on them.) Any bugs come up for air, ready to be killed. I leave plants in about 10 minutes or so. They don't mind being
  • April E Oklahoma City, OK
    I have always used a mix of dawn dish detergent and water I run it through the soil after a watering and let it set a couple of days then bring them in and have never had a issue
  • VALERIE Southfield, MI
    I apply a systemic houseplant insect powder and water it in, in case there are eggs in the soil. If there are are any visible pests, I use a combination of fly tape (to catch any thing movin around) and quarantine for a few weeks before bringing into the
  • Jan B. Crossville, TN
    Very good idea to check your plants before they come inside....my daughter's friend had a small snake appear on her kitchen floor which came out of her outdoor plant!
  • Likes

Donna H Patricia Thompson Nicky Beth Hyatt Debra Howard Akesha Rosi McCoy Bonnie Lewenza GranArt by Beth Gilliam