Found this 1920's Jacobean Buffet on Facebook for $50. I knew I wanted to give it new life for resale. This was my first large project. I had done small pieces before. I was a bit intimidated. Could I do it?
I started by cleaning it. UGH. Used Krud Kutter along with a bucket of water and a rag. Sprayed on the KK, wiped off grime and rinsed in bucket. It took about 2 hours. 90 years of grime!
I then removed the drawers and doors. Didn't snap a pic, but I primed it with 2 coats of KILZ sealer/primer. Then painted using General Finishes Persian Blue. I followed that by detailing the white scrollwork with an artists brush and a steady hand.
It looked "too blue" so I decided to add some Annie Sloan Cocoa to the bottom skirt for more contrast. It added the pop I was looking for.
The hardware was also yucked up. Used my trick of soaking in a zip lock baggie with white vinegar overnight. The next day I use a brillo pad with ketchup on it (ketchup also contains vinegar) and lightly scrubbed and washed off. Bingo. Looking gorgeous! And so easy to do.
Added so dark glazing to the white details for depth. I also added some subtle touches of Modern Masters Metallic on the legs to coordinate with the hardware.
Used General Finishes Java Gel on the top. Two coats, followed by Polyvine Varnish in Dead Flat Finish. Two coats of that.
The end result! What a difference! Hope you like it.
Materials I used for this project:
- Chalk Paint, Varnish, Metallics, Glazing (Most on Amazon.)