Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How to Clean and Dry Pine Cones for Decorating

holiday 12.22.14
Pine cones are a decor and crafting staple through the late fall and winter months because they can be used in so many ways. But before you use pinecones to craft and decorate, make sure you clean and dry them properly to rid them of bugs! For the full tutorial on how to prepare pine cones check out Two It Yourself. http://twoityourself.blogspot.com/2013/10/pi...

To see more: http://twoityourself.blogspot.com/2013/10/pinecone-decor-how-to-clean-and-dry.html

33 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 19 of 33 comments | See Previous
  • Cindyao
    Cindyao San Francisco, CA
    Several years ago, I brought pine cones in from the park to use decoratively, put them under running water, and watched a lot of bugs run out and down the drain. It took that to drive home to me that I was destroying habitat. I've never done it since.
  • Linda
    Linda Elmer, NJ
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Ginny C
    Ginny C Woodstock, GA
    Wish I had read this earlier. I just made a wreath out of pine cones from my yard. I didn't see any bugs but should I spray just in case? I have it hanging on my mantle.
    • Melissa @ Two It Yourself
      Ginny C Would it be possible to put the entire wreath in the oven??? Kind of depends what else you have on the wreath I guess.
    • Diane
      Diane Brookfield, WI
      Ginny C What I have done in the past is throw all my pinecones in a garbage bag. Be ready with a twist tie close at hand, then I pull up the sides of the bag holding can of bug
  • Deborah C
    Deborah C Rising Star, TX
    We pick up pine cones from our pine trees and sometimes cut them off of the trees. I hate bugs...so I have always left them outside for awhile after gathering them to make sure no ants or bugs are in them. I have never seen anything but a few little
  • Stacy G
    Stacy G Rochester, NY
    I've been wanting to do this for a while, thanks for the tip. One more question, how to you scent them like cinnamon. do you just add cinnamon sticks to the mix? Advice please and thanks!
    • Sharon Snyder
      Sharon Snyder Clemmons, NC
      Stacy G I use Cinnamon oil or any other potpurri oils to scent my pine cones...just add a few drops to them. The cones will absorb the oils and give off a very pleasant scent :)
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    That's how I do mine. I "roast" several batches while my husband is out with friends watching football games. That's also when I clean the floors with vinegar. By the time he gets home the house is cleaner and there is very little aroma.
  • Ginny C
    Ginny C Woodstock, GA
    It on a wire frame so I will try that. Thanks!
  • Becky
    Becky Snohomish, WA
    I've gathered cones off and on for years. I wash them in soapy water, rinse, place on aluminum foiled baking sheets and bake at 200 for about 4 hours. The sap melts and the cones are beautiful and NOT sticky any more.
    • Beth Greeley
      Jstp I did a batch at 275. It was supposed to be an hour but was closer to three. EEEK! But, the stickiness was completely gone and the sap looks and feels highly varnished~beautiful.
  • Tanja Raicic
    Mnogo lepo i ja cu pokusati da napravim slicno. Hvala TaNJa Srbija.
  • Felicity Woodruffe
    Felicity Woodruffe United Kingdom
    thank you very much i will try again :)
  • Felicity Woodruffe
    Felicity Woodruffe United Kingdom
    thank you yes i did try this but they pretty much stayed the same
  • Stacy G
    Stacy G Rochester, NY
    got one more question: if you BAKE the bugs, what happens to the bugs, are their carcasses now in your oven? Getting slightly grossed out and thinking I will just leave the pinecones for the squirrels : )
  • Felicity Woodruffe
    Felicity Woodruffe United Kingdom
    @STACY G I wouldnt worry too much ive had worse in mine dead chickens and parts of a lamb A couple of .weeks ago i had two pigs heads in there lol :) actually if you place baking parchment under them then give them a good rattle anything in them will
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Any bugs that crawl out of the pinecones get roasted and dry up. I shake the cookie sheets/aluminum foil offoutside.
  • Jane
    Jane Bartlett, IL
    I wash mine in the sink with dish soap and hot, hot water twice. Then rinse in hot, hot water and put on a towel in the sun to dry for a day or two. Have had no problems with insects...
Melissa @ Two It Yourself

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing