How to Clean and Dry Pine Cones for Decorating

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Pine cones are a decor and crafting staple through the late fall and winter months because they can be used in so many ways. But before you use pinecones to craft and decorate, make sure you clean and dry them properly to rid them of bugs! For the full tutorial on how to prepare pine cones check out Two It Yourself.
  • Kill the bugs - clean and dry your pinecones
  • Bake pinecones to kill the bugs before using them to decorate
  • Decorate and craft with your dried pine cones!

To see more:

• Jane
    Jane Bartlett, IL
    I wash mine in the sink with dish soap and hot, hot water twice. Then rinse in hot, hot water and put on a towel in the sun to dry for a day or two. Have had no problems with insects...
  • Jhunt10
    Jhunt10 Jacksonville, FL
    I washed and nuked mine for a few seconds, Voila. No bugs!
  • Alice Shockley
    Alice Shockley Jefferson City, MO
    Hm. I've never done anything but pick them up off the grass and use them. I've never seen a bug. Guess I got lucky.
  • Cl21496
    I just got some and I hit them on the dark surface of our garbage can little white mites came out & they jump like fleas .I heard on one of these info sites of a person having to get the house fumigated so I'm soaking mine in bleach & will bake after
Melissa @ Two It Yourself

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post