Terrariums in All Shapes and Sizes

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Terrariums are not new... but finding new vessels to plant them in never gets old! Barb Rosen asked the members in our Garden Charmers Group, check us out here: ( https://www.facebook.com/thegardencharmers ) to share some posts on terrariums we had done.
I realized that I have done a ton of terrariums, for both work and home but have not actually written up a blog post. SO... I will share them here.
  • There are so many cute glass vessels out there these days, like this light bulb
  • Cool glass vase, sand, pebbles air plants... presto.
  • Add an inspiration stone and give it as a gift
  • Ingredients layered in this order: charcoal, moss ( to stop filtering of soil into charcoal, cactus soil ( best for its sandy base ) plants, more moss
  • Wall scones with moss and air plants, soil-less terrariums
  • Mounted air plant wall sconce
  • I love to glue fairies to rocks and put them in my terrariums, like this little one who's resting in this bowl
  • This half bowl has an Asian theme, I used rocks to mimic a river
  • How cool is this little fisher dude!
  • Find cool glass bowls or jars, add sand and shells and you can place these anywhere for an immediate 'green' decor accent
  • This is an 'aqua-terrarium' It's soil-less with just water and stones http://www.sowanddipity.com/green-gift-idea/
  • I LOVE this little avocado bowl with adorable handle... this tilladesia looks perfectly happy in this bowl
  • This fairy came with her own snail ;)
  • The flatness of this glass vessel allows for a cool little scene
Have fun by placing a little critter in your terrarium or adding colored moss.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Really special. Thank you for sharing this beautiful round up!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    They are all so great, I can't even pick a favorite, Shelley! : )
  • Sow and Dipity
    thanks everyone :) I got them in every room of my house, lol
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    These look great! I find the lightbulb one particularly charming.
  • Theresa Thornsberry
    Theresa Thornsberry Saint Louis, MO
    Love this! I remember my mom having a huge one in the 70's. I was fascinated that it didn't need watered as often like the other plants. I have a question. Can this be done with herbs like Rosemary, sage and Thyme? I'm also going to make a small one for
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Theresa Thornsberry You might be able to grow thyme in an open terrarium that was kept on the dry side, but I think rosemary and sage would quickly outgrow one, and rosemary is notoriously finicky to grow indoors anyway.
Sow and Dipity

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post