How To: Clean a Mattress

05.20.15
Did you know that you should and can clean a mattress? I sure didn't but when I cleaned it...the results were great. It was super easy and quick.
Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $3 Difficulty: Easy
Step 1: Gather your supplies. You will need a measuring cup and baking soda.
Step 2: Pour two cups of baking soda over mattress. Make sure to gently spread the baking soda over the entire mattress surface. Let it sit for one hour.
Step 3: Use a brush attachment on your vacuum to pick up all baking soda residue.
Step 4: Enjoy your fresh/clean mattress.

To see more: http://biggerthanthethreeofus.com/pinterest-made-me-do-it-mattress-cleaning/

• Teri
    Teri Greenup, IL
    is there any way to get a urine stain out of a mattress that has dried and been there for a while I bought new mattress and child was sick and stained it . Ive tried bleach water didn't work
  • Teri
    Teri Greenup, IL
    thx
  • Annie
    Annie Sanford, NC
    Rubbing alcohol removes ink from clothes/carpets .. maybe it would remove a urine stain from a mattress , worth a try or maybe distilled vinegar would be worth trying as well ????
  • Wendy
    Yes it works and I've been doing it for years.
  • Kat
    Kat Batavia, NY
    hey if it works on my mattress I'll be a happy camper! I use it in the fridge, ,in laundry, as a cleanser, disposal.After kids throw up to clean up kids/ cats etc use bread crumbs to solidfy and mask odor makes clean up easy w/paper plate as dust pan
  • Greta Swanson
    Greta Swanson Palatine, IL
    In the summer I take one mattress outside a week and scrub both sides with dish soap and a scrubber, hose it down on both sides till all the soap is out on both sides. I keep flipping it until I do not see anymore suds. I leave it out in the sun and flip
  • RoseTyler
    RoseTyler Danielson, CT
    Peroxide removes all body fluids and normally the stains as well, it will not bleach any fabric, you can use it on blood, urine, and anything else left behind it will clean, disinfect and deodorize without the nasty fumes of bleach.
  • Kyn
    Kyn Manchester Township, NJ
    Neat idea. Probably even better as I'm coming off a severe flare up of lupus. Have spent too much time on bed rest. Would this idea work as well on furniture?
  • Patricia
    Patricia Oakland, CA
    My mother used to scrub both mattresses and bed pillows with a sponge and the suds from a bowl of Tide and hot water. But just the suds, so that they don't get really wet. Drying in the sunshine probably further disinfected, whitened and deodorized them.
  • Heidibee
    Excellent information. I will try this. Thank you.
  • Jane H
    Jane H Marble, NC
    I vacuum my mattress about every 3 months anyway- and have always put my pillows in the sun to air and soak up the good smelling sunshine- I was my pillows every few months and put them outside to dry - the memory foam ones just lay them in the sun -
    • Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus
      Jane H I haven't even laid them in the sun. Someone mentioned that they did that with their mattress as well. I definitely need to try it with my pillows!
    • Donna R
      Donna R New Richmond, WI
      I also wash my pillows every month usually. I just like clean white pillows.
  • Lynn Guthrie
    Folex- it is AMAZING. Even took an old ink stain out of my carpet.
  • Lesley K Sackville
    Lesley K Sackville Silver Spring, MD
    Then you can sprinkle it on carpet to refresh it too correct?
  • Lz
    Lz Basile, LA
    Don't forget to clean vacuum attachment before using!!
  • Carole Walker
    Carole Walker Austin, TX
    I have done this, but I add just a touch of lavender oil.
Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus