Just How Well Do DIY Counter Tops Hold Up?

COUNTER TOPS 08.11.15
I get asked this question a lot. People like the idea of an inexpensive solution for new counter tops....but it's also kind of scary to venture outside the realm of regular store bought ones. Ten months after installing our wood counter tops I'm revisiting just how well they've held up for me.
  • ten months after installing counter tops using just plain wood from the lumber section
  • six coats of poly keep them nice and durable for everyday use
  • counter tops before staining and poly

To see more: http://blog.chapterthirtyseven.com/10-month-check-up/

• Kathleen Conery
    Kathleen Conery Harrisonburg, VA
    Thanks for the update. You're absolutely right that worry over durability is an inhibiting force... it's certainly one of the things holding me back for trying a DIY counter. So thank you!
  • Kathy Sorrentino
    Kathy Sorrentino Providence, RI
    just beautiful
  • Lorry V
    Lorry V Denver, CO
    Georgeous! Denver, CO
  • Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS
    These are beautiful.... will the poly withstand heat from pots and pans, grease spatters, etc.? I have large counters on both sides of my stove and like to be able to use them without having to worry.
  • Darla
    Darla Montgomery Village, MD
    They really look good! I wonder if you could inset tiles near the stove for hot plates and pans. Don't usually like painting wood cabinets, but yours make the room look so much lighter and cleaner.
Abby Feistel