Just How Well Do DIY Counter Tops Hold Up?

Furniture 10.20.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I get asked this question a lot. People like the idea of an inexpensive solution for new counter tops....but it's also kind of scary to venture outside the realm of regular store bought ones. Ten months after installing our wood counter tops I'm revisiting just how well they've held up for me.
  • ten months after installing counter tops using just plain wood from the lumber section
  • six coats of poly keep them nice and durable for everyday use
  • counter tops before staining and poly

To see more: http://blog.chapterthirtyseven.com/10-month-check-up/

• Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS
    These are beautiful.... will the poly withstand heat from pots and pans, grease spatters, etc.? I have large counters on both sides of my stove and like to be able to use them without having to worry.
  • Darla
    Darla Montgomery Village, MD
    They really look good! I wonder if you could inset tiles near the stove for hot plates and pans. Don't usually like painting wood cabinets, but yours make the room look so much lighter and cleaner.
  • Lisa House
    Lisa House Vickery, OH
    What brand of poly did you use? What I used left many, many brush marks no matter what I did
  • Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS
    I always apply poly with a small sponge roller... long clean strokes up and down, then from side to side; seamless!
  • Debbie Archambeault
    We bought the counter top kit and very well pleased about five years ago and still very good, takes the heat well. The only place we had an issue was the sink, make sure it is well sealed all way under and around the cutout. Follow directions to a
Abby Feistel

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post