If your mom loves gardening and plants, make her a Mother’s Day garden decoration perfect for displaying in her yard!
Get the kids involved with this and Mom will love it.
Step 1: What you will need:
- Large plastic garden shovel, available at toy store or Dollar Tree
- Waterproof decorations: artificial flowers, ribbons, stickers, small garden toys, shells, pebbles, pine cones, or other items from outdoors
- Wooden or foam rectangle sign
- Acrylic paints and paintbrushes or sharpie permanent markers
- Hot glue gun
Step 2: Gathered all of your supplies, you are ready to decorate.
What You Do:
1. Have your child collect items from outdoors for some decor, such as shells, pebbles, pine cones, or twigs.
2. Have her/him use sharpies or acrylic paints and paintbrushes to decorate a sign for the shovel. It could say “Mom’s Garden” or anything your child would like to write for a Mother’s Day gift!
Step 3: Have your child bring out her nature collection from step 1. She can place decorations where she’d like them, and an adult can help her hot glue or tie the decorations to the plastic shovel.
I added this butterfly although I don't think it will hold up in too much rain. I have a protected bed that this will work in.
Step 4: Help your child put hot glue in the middle of the back of the wood or foam sign and press it down somewhere below the shovel’s handle. Let the glue dry before the next step.
Step 5: Ribbon can be used to tie on items, for example around the shovel’s handle. I attached some plastic flowers and outdoor ribbon.
Material I used for this project:
- Plastic shovel (Dollar Tree)