Three years ago I picked up a hubcap at a yard sale for $1. I've gone back and forth about what I should actually do with the thing but I've finally found the perfect project.
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy
The hubcap was originally off of a 1936 Ford V8 , When I bought the hubcap I envisioned some kind of ceiling light, but once I got it home my vision faded.
So now it’s been three years and I spy this lamp in a local thrift store. It’s not your normal lamp…it would have held a bowl or dome on top, not a regular shade. For $6, it was far cheaper than buying a lamp kit.
I have a dome, it just happens to be a hubcap.
If my hubcap had been in good shape it may have been worth something. Mine was not in good shape. There were dents and rust on the outside of the hubcap and rust had totally taken over on the inside.
Now I had to give the hubcap a good cleaning. My grinder and an Electric Sander did a great job in getting rid of most of the crusty rust on the inside of the hubcap.
The goal was just to get it back to a flat surface for painting.
The black part of the hubcap also had some rusty parts so that had to be sanded down as well.
Taped off the silver part of the hubcap so I could spray the bottom portion with black spray paint.
I was going to spray the inside of the hubcap with some shiny metal spray paint but opted for Rub ‘n Buff Silver Leaf instead. I’ve used the gold silver leaf on a couple other projects and wanted to try the silver…it did not disappoint. Just put a little on your finger and rub away.
Materials I used for this project:
- Lamp (Goodwill)
- Hubcap (flea market)
- Rub-n-buff (Michaels)