This vanity was rescued from an old house. We purchased it from the people that had been paid to clean out the house. It was sitting in the garage while I waited for inspiration to strike, when a lady who came to purchase a dresser (posted on here, the dresser with material on the sides) asked us to paint it to match a chest of drawers her grandmother had. So, here it goes....
Time: 5 Days Cost: $100 Difficulty: Advanced
The vanity was sitting on a flat bed trailer when we went to see it. Look at this beauty...just needed some love!
We had to replace to bottoms in a couple of the drawers, which we did after we sanded them down. Look at how nicely they sanded down!
Some of the intricate trim pieces had lost layers, so hubby to the rescue! He used wood putty to basically rebuild the broken pieces. Teamwork is the best!
Did I mention it was a custom order? Blue and gold...not what I would have chosen, but hey, the customer knows what they want! So, here I started painting the decorative pieces and drawers.
Here is one of the drawers with glaze on it...I decided glaze was a great option to tone down the brightness of the paint colors, and fill in the grooves at the same time.
Here I was working on the mirror. I laid the decorative trim on to see how it was going to look. I was a little under the weather, so hubby did the staining for me. It turned out a bit darker than I really wanted. We were putting original mirrors back on, so make sure you have some felt to use as cushion between mirrors and wood!!
And here she is all complete! Decided to paint side panels blue because that dark stain was too much for me. As usual, I forgot pictures of some of the steps...I really need to work on that. The hardware was cleaned up, painted oil rubbed bronze, I dry brushed a little gold on them, and then sealed with poly!
Materials I used for this project:
- Annie Sloan chalk paint (Local vendor)
- Gold paint (Hobby Lobby)
- Felt (Had on hand)
To see more: https://www.facebook.com/nettesemporium/