TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'c.offset().top') http://cdn.hometalk.com/resources/combined/js/mobile.desktop.b18ac4ee30b9eb9a39a921c5d1446dba.9014.js:11 Home-Made Chalk Paint | Hometalk

Home-Made Chalk Paint

Has anyone experienced problems making Chalk Paint using Plaster of Paris? Mine seems to have too many particles in it and gets hard before I use it all. Help??????

• Phyllis tomelloso
    Phyllis tomelloso Louisa, KY

I have uses it , and I stired also uses a mixer and still sorta of grainy

• Jill B
    Jill B Bismarck, ND

What recipe are you using? I use 1 part hot water, 1 part Plaster of Paris and 3 parts latex paint. Mix hot water and POP well, add to paint. I have used this many many times with no problems. I hope that helps.

• Becky
    Becky Nixa, MO

I always use my old flour sifter and sift into the water. I then mix and add to the paint. I've never had any probs. but I must say since using calcium carbonate, I love it! I dost use pop at all anymore. Hope this helps :)

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO

If and when I malke it I also use calicum carbonate. I ad water and calicum carbonate and dissolve it. Then I stir in the paint. I start with a teaspoon at a time. If I see plaster paris I use hot water and dissolve it first, then ad paint. I also use a teaspoon at a time. I also make a lime putty to make real chalk paint or limestone paint. There are a zillion ways to make it. When I make I my favorite way and it seems to be less problematic is the calicum carbonate. Everyone in awhile I will get a grainy piece of sand looking stuff on a piece I use steel wood and will go over the piece of furniture but if I take my time and dissolve it I very seldom have a problem.

• LIJ Designs
    LIJ Designs Ballwin, MO

Agree hot water helps or I sometimes hot coffee (leftover)

• Joan Raines
    Joan Raines Charlotte, MI

Where do you buy calcium carbonate?

• LIJ Designs
      LIJ Designs Ballwin, MO

@Joan Raines you can buy it at a health foof store

• DIY 180
    DIY 180 Mulberry, FL

How much plaster of paris are you using? Depending on the size I only use one or two tablespoons of the plaster of paris to a sample size. Here is my recipe take 1/2 cup of hot water and add the plaster of Paris then shake well. Once that is done I add it to the paint and shake well. You have to use all the paint right away and if it get's to thick add a little bit of water. It will have some grit to it but not too bad. I use a strainer to sift the plaster and this helps some.

• DIY 180
    DIY 180 Mulberry, FL

Check out this site, Diane has a great write up on different types of homemade chalk paints. http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/02/diy-chalk-paint-review-update.html

• GR
    GR

Having spent a fortune on Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I have been experimenting with making my own.I have used plaster of paris and calcium carbonate (which I bought on ebay).It definitely helps if you mix them with warm water before adding them to the paint but the most successful batch I have made I put into a mason type jar which stopped it going lumpy.I give it a good shake before I use it and if necessary add some more water.

• Joan @ Nicer Than New
    Joan @ Nicer Than New Canada

I tried all the various recipes and prefer the Calcium Carbonate recipe the best. As stated above, mixing POP with hot water until smooth then gradually adding and mixing in the paint will help. My local (small) pharmacy will order the CC for me. It is reasonably priced and I don't pay shipping.

• Dee @ deeconstructed.com
    Dee @ deeconstructed.com Milwaukee, WI

Yes and if you sand that you'll wind up sick. POP is toxic (I learned the hard way.) Now I only use Paint Minerals & add it to any color paint I want. Check it out at www.paintminerals.com

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO

I use calicum carbonate. I use a teaspoon and a few table spoons of hot water. This is the edible kind. I let it cool before adding it to the paint. You can also use gessco. I use hot water to thin it. Then let it cool before adding it to paint. When I am paint large nice pieces. I use Annie Sloan. You can order food grade calicum carbonate over the internet. Or through a natural gpfood store, I also have made my own milk paint, lime paint with lime sludge. And used every paint out there. There are some cheaper copy cat paints like Limestone paint. Cheap reasonable and I like the way it covers. There are tons of things people are doing. I find all of them creative as long as it's safe I say experiment. Plaster Paris was the first I used and I like them all.

• Peggy Ann Hoyt @ Bungalows Best
    Peggy Ann Hoyt @ Bungalows Best Oak Grove, MO

What is the ratio for the cc to paint?

• Peggy Ann Hoyt @ Bungalows Best

Looking forward to trying it. .. the stuff at the store is so expensive! Also, I'm tired of sanding.

• Joan Raines
    Joan Raines Charlotte, MI

What are paint minerals as refered to above?

• Antoinette Raggio
    Antoinette Raggio Raymond, MS

thanks!!!

Answer this Hometalker's question!