If your tomato plant seems to be losing its flowers without making fruit, try tapping the flower clusters with a pencil

07.24.14
twice each day. Tomatoes don't need bees for pollination, just vibration to shake the pollen around on hot, humid days.
  • Myrna Engle
    Myrna Engle Flower Mound, TX
    Make no difference how long you try to pollinate tomatoes, if it's above 75 degrees at night the pollination will not set.
  • Donna
    Donna Sandwich, MA
    Take a newspaper and spank the stem. It works to spread the pollen. Do not touch the stem with your hands.
  • Ann T
    I just had an AHA! moment. My tomato is in a little hoop-house, and making flowers like crazy but so far only two tomatoes. It never occurred to me that the pollinators might not be able to get in to do the job, so I went out and gently tapped the whole
  • Julie Dever
    Julie Dever Columbia, SC
    This does work. Don't know about you, but I rarely see any bees anymore. This is not as sexy as normal pollination, but hey....just sayin.
  • Kathe With An E (Kathe)
    I go out and "tickle" my tomato flowers all of the time :-)
Walter Reeves