Looking for companion plants for your hydrangeas?

Read my post on Hydrangeas and their companions at www.ericaglasener.com
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    What do you think of some of the new varieties (H. paniculata 'Quick Fire & 'Pinkie Winkie) and the H. arborescens 'Incrediball ' series?
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    'Incrediball' seems almost too big for my taste, haven't grown the paniculata's you mention but like 'Limelight' and Hydrangea macrophylla 'Endless Summer' pictured here
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    Is that Begonia grandis at the bottom of the picture?
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Yes, Begonia grandis - another perennial for shade, easy and rewarding
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I have "Quick Fire." I don't like the color as much as "Pink Diamond," which is one of my favorites, but it is a better size for a border and does bloom earlier.
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    The great thing about Hydrangea paniculata selections is that they will grow in full sun and bloom on current season's growth so you don't have to worry about cutting off flower buds. Hydrangea paniculata 'Tardiva' is a cultivar that has been around for
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    I have a tree formed Pink Diamond on its third year in the ground which is really showing beautifully year. She gets sun around 3pm on in the afternoons. I have Loropetalum ' behind her which gives a nice back drop to the changing color of her bloom.
  • Flowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
    I am chomping at the bit to see the 'Vanilla Strawberry' hydrangea offered by White Flower Farms in person. Any locals have one that I can take a look at?
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Love the paniculatas! Kyushu is another great cultivar.
  • Teresa D
    Teresa D Snellville, GA
    Paniculatas! I like those. Didn't know what they were called. How well do they do in heavy shade?
  • Teresa D
    Teresa D Snellville, GA
    My hydrangea bloomed a gorgeous bright blue and now has turned a dusty gray-ish color with pink on the edges. Is this normal? It is a snowball variety and very healthy.
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Your hydrangeas that started out blue and turned grayish with pink edges, yes this is normal. The paniculata's unlike the mophead (the one you call snowball) prefer full sun but will do ok in 1/2 shade but not heavy shade.
Erica Glasener