Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

The Painted Fabric Chairs!

Yall, I am so excited to share this with you! These are my painted chairs! I painted the fabric on these and the wood and it was easy peasy! :) This is one of my favorite projects I have done lately! I would love to know what you think!
Time: 6 Hours Difficulty: Easy
Before & After!
Before & After!
Before - This is just so not me. :) I'm not into the flowery look at all!
Before - I didnt think this was to bad but I wanted them to match. So it got painted too!
This was what 1 coat of paint looked like. I sprayed the chair down with water to keep the paint from absorbing to much. I used 2 cups of latex paint, 2 cups of Textile Medium (Hobby Lobby - dont forget your coupon!) and 2 cups of water mixed together very well. I did 2 coats and then went to work on painting the wood.
This is after 2 coats of Primer (Zinsser Bulls Eye 123). Next up it's time for the paint!
Final product! I'm a very happy girl!
I added a coat of Minwax Polycrylic to seal it! What do you think?! I would love to hear your thoughts!

To see more: http://blissfullychicdiy.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-painted-chairs-painting-over-fabric.html

193 Comments Displaying 16 of 193 comments | See Previous
  • Gerry Rust
    Gerry Rust United Kingdom
    That's good to know, maybe I'll try your method next... I like chalk paint but it's not always the best - it depends on the project - but it's definitely worth trying. Thanks for the compliment, especially as you are obviously very talented yourself!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Connie Nikiforoff Designs
    Well done :-) Nice new look that I'm sure is more 'you' :-)
  • Peggy Johnson
    Peggy Johnson Lewiston, ID
    Very impressive I had no idea painted fabric could come out so well. Great job!!!
  • Sheila
    Sheila Jacksonville, FL
    I love this and I love to paint almost anything. So I will be doing this. I have a chair that I keep covered so off the the cover and here comes the paint. Only one question, will the paint eventually wear off from people sitting on it?
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      I dont really think it will to tell you the truth. I've had my couch that I did 2 1/2 years ago and it still looks the same today as it did then. We use it as our main couch. :)
  • Ahut
    Love the chairs! I just painted couple going room chair. 1/1 latex paint and fabric medium. The chairs feel a bit tacky/rubbery. Will that change over time? I was thinking of heat setting it with an iron, but I'm scared it would mske the fabric stuff.
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      Ahut So sorry for the delay! I was on vacation. I'm not sure why they would feel tacky? I've always diluted mine with water. Mine felt a little rough right after but never tacky. What kind of material is it?
  • Ahut
    No worries! I think it's just cotton, but it has a bit of a design on it like the cream coloured one you painted. I never used that much water, that could be the problem. I wonder if I used 1//1/1 water, medium,paint for the third cost if it would make
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      Ahut I would def try that! I think maybe it just wasn't diluted enough. I've seen that some people even give it a light sand in between. I think I would try the 1/1/1 mixture and if that doesnt
  • Carol Tomlin
    Carol Tomlin Spencer, MA
    I'd like to paint a fabric chair for my bedroom. No one has mentioned how to put the paint on. I would guess a foam roller.
  • Carol Tomlin
    Carol Tomlin Spencer, MA
    Thanks! I may try this. Yours came out so beautiful.
Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)