Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Before & After 09.13.14

The Painted Fabric Chairs!

Yall, I am so excited to share this with you! These are my painted chairs! I painted the fabric on these and the wood and it was easy peasy! :) This is one of my favorite projects I have done lately! I would love to know what you think!
Time: 6 Hours Difficulty: Easy
Before & After!
Before & After!
Before - This is just so not me. :) I'm not into the flowery look at all!
Before - I didnt think this was to bad but I wanted them to match. So it got painted too!
This was what 1 coat of paint looked like. I sprayed the chair down with water to keep the paint from absorbing to much. I used 2 cups of latex paint, 2 cups of Textile Medium (Hobby Lobby - dont forget your coupon!) and 2 cups of water mixed together very well. I did 2 coats and then went to work on painting the wood.
This is after 2 coats of Primer (Zinsser Bulls Eye 123). Next up it's time for the paint!
Final product! I'm a very happy girl!
I added a coat of Minwax Polycrylic to seal it! What do you think?! I would love to hear your thoughts!

To see more: http://blissfullychicdiy.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-painted-chairs-painting-over-fabric.html

185 Comments Displaying 16 of 185 comments | See Previous
  • Janet Baack
    Janet Baack Le Mars, IA
    I loved what you did. I definitely am going to do this when the weather warms up. I have 2 wing back chairs with a small print which should look nice. What color of paint did you use?
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      Janet Baack Thanks! I would love to see your pic's! It was just a dark gray that I found at Lowes on paint swatch and had it mixed. I've used it on these chairs, my desk top and the couch I painted. Pictures of all of these are on the blog. :)
  • Mary
    Great idea. I read you mixed paint with fabric medium and water. So I think I just answered my own question. I'm guessing you used a spacer powered by a compressor. Is that correct?
  • Couture Papier
    Couture Papier Cohasset, MA
    great idea....
  • Gerry Rust
    Gerry Rust United Kingdom
    I would be really interested to hear how these hold up after some wear. I have tried painting a couple of chairs with chalk paint, some more successfully than others! I can do simple upholstery,( I recommend starting with a drop in chair seat - it's like
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      Gerry Rust I painted a couch about two years ago and we use it everyday...like everyday. It gets lots of wear and it still looks the same as when I painted it two years ago. I've had great luck
  • Gerry Rust
    Gerry Rust United Kingdom
    That's good to know, maybe I'll try your method next... I like chalk paint but it's not always the best - it depends on the project - but it's definitely worth trying. Thanks for the compliment, especially as you are obviously very talented yourself!
  • Connie Nikiforoff Designs
    Well done :-) Nice new look that I'm sure is more 'you' :-)
  • Peggy Johnson
    Peggy Johnson Lewiston, ID
    Very impressive I had no idea painted fabric could come out so well. Great job!!!
  • Sheila
    Sheila Jacksonville, FL
    I love this and I love to paint almost anything. So I will be doing this. I have a chair that I keep covered so off the the cover and here comes the paint. Only one question, will the paint eventually wear off from people sitting on it?
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      I dont really think it will to tell you the truth. I've had my couch that I did 2 1/2 years ago and it still looks the same today as it did then. We use it as our main couch. :)
Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)