Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

The Painted Fabric Chairs!

Yall, I am so excited to share this with you! These are my painted chairs! I painted the fabric on these and the wood and it was easy peasy! :) This is one of my favorite projects I have done lately! I would love to know what you think!
Before & After!
Before & After!
Before - This is just so not me. :) I'm not into the flowery look at all!
Before - I didnt think this was to bad but I wanted them to match. So it got painted too!
This was what 1 coat of paint looked like. I sprayed the chair down with water to keep the paint from absorbing to much. I used 2 cups of latex paint, 2 cups of Textile Medium (Hobby Lobby - dont forget your coupon!) and 2 cups of water mixed together very well. I did 2 coats and then went to work on painting the wood.
This is after 2 coats of Primer (Zinsser Bulls Eye 123). Next up it's time for the paint!
Final product! I'm a very happy girl!
I added a coat of Minwax Polycrylic to seal it! What do you think?! I would love to hear your thoughts!
Time: 6 Hours Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://blissfullychicdiy.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-painted-chairs-painting-over-fabric.html

179 Comments Displaying 16 of 179 comments | See Previous
  • Dianna Jensen
    Dianna Jensen Grand Junction, CO
    Thanks Heather! You did a beautiful job and I know chalk paint is expensive so I thought if you can do it with the latex then I could save some money. Thanks for the advise/ you did a great job.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Jen Garvin Garberich
    I imagine painted fabric is stiff and plastic-y. Does the textile medium prevent that?
  • Sandie
    Sandie Canada
    The chairs look great. Love the ton-on-ton from the flowers, on your couch as well. It's a custom job for sure. I have re-upholstered furniture before and it's a bit of work, and can be very scary, if you don't know what you're doing, as I found out.
  • Janet Baack
    Janet Baack Le Mars, IA
    I loved what you did. I definitely am going to do this when the weather warms up. I have 2 wing back chairs with a small print which should look nice. What color of paint did you use?
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      Janet Baack Thanks! I would love to see your pic's! It was just a dark gray that I found at Lowes on paint swatch and had it mixed. I've used it on these chairs, my desk top and the couch I painted. Pictures of all of these are on the blog. :)
  • Mary
    Great idea. I read you mixed paint with fabric medium and water. So I think I just answered my own question. I'm guessing you used a spacer powered by a compressor. Is that correct?
  • Couture Papier
    Couture Papier Cohasset, MA
    great idea....
  • Gerry Rust
    Gerry Rust United Kingdom
    I would be really interested to hear how these hold up after some wear. I have tried painting a couple of chairs with chalk paint, some more successfully than others! I can do simple upholstery,( I recommend starting with a drop in chair seat - it's like
    • Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)
      Gerry Rust I painted a couch about two years ago and we use it everyday...like everyday. It gets lots of wear and it still looks the same as when I painted it two years ago. I've had great luck
  • Gerry Rust
    Gerry Rust United Kingdom
    That's good to know, maybe I'll try your method next... I like chalk paint but it's not always the best - it depends on the project - but it's definitely worth trying. Thanks for the compliment, especially as you are obviously very talented yourself!
Heather (Blissfully Chic DIY)

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!