Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Patriotic Painted Glass Bottles

These patriotic painted glass bottles are an easy, low-cost way to add some red, white, and blue to your Fourth of July table! Made from old juice and tea jars, all you need are a few supplies and a few minutes of your time. #FourthofJuly
To start, wash out the jars you plan to repurpose, and remove labels and any residual stickiness. (Did you know? Peanut butter removes the stickiness left behind after removing labels!)
Place jar over a long dowel, rod, or stick, and spray paint using light coats that begin and end beyond the bottle. I used Krylon ColorMaster and Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paints for my glass jars and they worked great. I found after my first attempt that the trick is to do the sneak attack. Don't begin spray painting with the nozzle pointed directly at the bottle. Instead, start spraying like you're spraying to the left or right of the bottle and then spray the bottle, going all the way and across and beyond it with each swipe of your spray paint.
To dry, I transferred my bottles to a shorter stick (long lollipop sticks work great for this) and stuck the bottles upright, poked into a foam rectangle. I let them dry overnight before I decorated them.
Once the bottles were dry, I used double-stick tape to adorn them with patriotic ribbon. Not only is this a quick and easy embellishment, it can also be removed without damaging your pretty painted jars (just make sure you secure both sides of tape to ribbon - not glass) so you can reuse the jars for other events in the future.
DIY 4th of July vase made from a glass tea jar.

To see more: http://www.allthingsgd.com

22 Comments Displaying 16 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • Gran Art by Beth Gilliam
    nice project!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Betty819
    Betty819 Silver Spring, MD
    Would you mind telling me what products are sold in glass bottles like you used anymore? so much is being packaged in plastic containers/bottles. Prevents breakage and loss for manufacturer and grocery stores. Let me go look in my panty..a few I can
    • Frankie Schreve
      Frankie Schreve San Antonio, TX
      Betty819 I have glass jars from green olives, pickles, pasta sauce, Smuckers jelly and relish.
    • All Things G&D
      All Things G&D Madison, WI
      Betty819 Hi Betty - The jars I used for this project are kombucha (fermented tea) jars and juice jars. Hope that helps!
  • Betty819
    Betty819 Silver Spring, MD
    Is that Washi tape or duct tape wrapped around the bottles?
  • Jane R.
    Jane R. Rosenberg, TX
    If you put ribbon on both sides of the tape, how do you attach it to the glass bottle? Also how did you transfer the bottles to shorter sticks for drying without touching them?
    • All Things G&D
      All Things G&D Madison, WI
      Jane R. Hi Jane, I was able to tape the ribbon tight enough that it didn't slide around on the bottle. You can tape directly to the bottle if you'd like, but I didn't want any paint to peel off in
    • All Things G&D
      All Things G&D Madison, WI
      Jane R. To transfer the bottles for drying - the two sticks I used were narrow enough that both fit in the mouth of the bottles at the same time. I held up my freshly painted bottle upside down
  • Gloria L
    Gloria L Sioux Falls, SD
    That's exactly what I thought, how do you transfer with out touching the wet paint on the bottle.
    • All Things G&D
      All Things G&D Madison, WI
      Gloria L To transfer the bottles for drying - the two sticks I used were narrow enough that both fit in the mouth of the bottles at the same time. I held up my freshly painted bottle upside
  • Pat Cobb
    Pat Cobb Gibsonville, NC
    Just love this ideal and thanks for sharing. I will be doing this for the 4th!
  • Laura Trevey
    Laura Trevey Richmond, VA
    Love it :)
All Things G&D