What would you add?

06.22.12
We will be tearing out and re-doing the front beds in a few months when we replace our basement windows. I have never been happy with the overall look of the front but especially the R. side (pic#1.) The driveway is on that side and we have an additional spot for parking in front of the house (you can see the edge of a truck in the pic.) I feel like there needs to be vertical interest but am at a loss. This area is on the South side and gets the late day sun (starting at around 4 'til sunset). How would you continue or incorporate your idea into the left..I'm anal about symmetry. By the way, Hubs does not like bushes and any tree ideas need to be less than 6ft.
  • JJ J
    JJ J New Lebanon, NY
    Definitely shutters and crammed-full flowerboxes on the house. Mabe some gingerbread trim, and a sitting porch. For the beds along the sidewalk, picket fence with climbing roses.
  • G B
    G B Ripley, TN
    Shutters would be a great addition to the right side. Perhaps a porch to the left. Color in the beds leading to the front door. Paint the left side to match the rest of the siding.
  • Lori J
    Lori J Broken Bow, NE
    I would get rid of that walk and curve it to soften the entry. You might consider a full view storm door with a brightly colored front door (and perhaps shutters to catch the color somewhere else). What about a nice cedar trellis between the two windows
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I had another thought....if hubby does not want trees, perhaps a beautiful, decorative metal trellis on which you can attach brackets and hang all sorts of pots! A trellis as simple as one with a grid pattern would lend itself for all sorts of use. Or
  • Linda T
    Linda T Stewartstown, PA
    What I had written before, was basically growing a mix of wisteria, trumpet vine, climbing roses, jasmine and such, and adding morning glory, moon flowers and nasturtium seeds each year, to climb up the others. A riot of colour and shapes which will
Dee W