Hometalk.com

06.22.12

What would you add?

We will be tearing out and re-doing the front beds in a few months when we replace our basement windows. I have never been happy with the overall look of the front but especially the R. side (pic#1.) The driveway is on that side and we have an additional spot for parking in front of the house (you can see the edge of a truck in the pic.) I feel like there needs to be vertical interest but am at a loss. This area is on the South side and gets the late day sun (starting at around 4 'til sunset). How would you continue or incorporate your idea into the left..I'm anal about symmetry. By the way, Hubs does not like bushes and any tree ideas need to be less than 6ft.
70 Comments Displaying 15 of 70 comments | See Previous
  • Donna C Manchester, NH
    I would add one maybe two Japanese Maple trees. Paint the house all one color and add a porch to the front door with shutters on the rest of the house. But I would concentrate more on the porch area, whether black wrought iron or wood just be sure that
  • Liz B Cass Lake, MN
    I think you could replant some of the plants you have but you would need something taller then the ones you have on the front, but not so tall it would cover the windows. Shutters would spruce it up and buildings all one color. Depends on how much you
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Thank-you everyone....you've all said what we've thought as far as adding a small porch. If hubs agrees and is willing we could do some painting of the porch and I will do some shopping around for shutters-have no idea what they run (or how they are put
  • Linda T Stewartstown, PA
    Before my post above, I had written a long one, including many flower ideas, especially climbers that attract humming birds etc. It has disappeared. Was I censored for some reason? If so. Why?
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    No idea what happened
  • Carroll A Coos Bay, OR
    My favorite tree is the Japanese Weeping Cherry Tree. If you are taking the lillie beds out anyway it would look great there. I would also try to save as many plants as I could and replant them, for the most part the beds look really nice!
  • Carroll A Coos Bay, OR
    I like what Leslie D designed also... I would not have thought to add shutters.... that really does change the look and the tall evergreens might be just what you need.
  • Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    I looked at this again and one other thing bothered me. The scalloped screen door trim ages the house...somehow the house looks newer than that style of door. I like the two tone paint, but maybe change the peachy beige color to a darker gray? I think
  • Brenda B Nicholasville, KY
    you need some sort of a tree or tall evergreen. something with some hight..
  • Diana N Covington, GA
    I think maybe just a pergola type structure that goes above the 2 windows and is held up by large brackets would really dress up the right side. You could add legs all the way to the ground instead of brackets and have a climbing vine go up and across -
  • JJ J New Lebanon, NY
    Definitely shutters and crammed-full flowerboxes on the house. Mabe some gingerbread trim, and a sitting porch. For the beds along the sidewalk, picket fence with climbing roses.
  • G B Ripley, TN
    Shutters would be a great addition to the right side. Perhaps a porch to the left. Color in the beds leading to the front door. Paint the left side to match the rest of the siding.
  • Lori J Broken Bow, NE
    I would get rid of that walk and curve it to soften the entry. You might consider a full view storm door with a brightly colored front door (and perhaps shutters to catch the color somewhere else). What about a nice cedar trellis between the two windows
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I had another thought....if hubby does not want trees, perhaps a beautiful, decorative metal trellis on which you can attach brackets and hang all sorts of pots! A trellis as simple as one with a grid pattern would lend itself for all sorts of use. Or
  • Linda T Stewartstown, PA
    What I had written before, was basically growing a mix of wisteria, trumpet vine, climbing roses, jasmine and such, and adding morning glory, moon flowers and nasturtium seeds each year, to climb up the others. A riot of colour and shapes which will
  • Likes

Carol L A Nest for All Seasons