Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
For the Garden 09.22.13

Avoiding Bathroom Tiling Mistakes

Tiling is such a great way to update a bathroom, but it can be challenging when done for the first time. I decided to assemble a quick tutorial on my blog about the initial steps of laying tile flooring in a bathroom. The first video is attached below. And if you have any questions or comments please add them to either Hometalk or my website. Check out the full post along with the second video tutorial at www.homerepairtutor.com.

Thanks,

Jeff

10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Joe S
    Joe S New York, NY
    Thanks for the video - very interesting.

In the example you say it's acceptable that the last tile is 1/2 size - but what if based on the room/tile size the last

This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    That's an interesting question from Joe. This is a wonderful how-to. I love how you drew it out, makes it very easy to understand, particularly for a beginner like me.
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Joe for your question and it is a good one. It's up to you how to make the tiling project work but I my preference would be to trim the first tile to make up for the small sliver on the back wall. For example, let's say the last tile is only 1
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you Miriam, I really like doing these type of videos and hope others enjoy them, too. There are many videos on YouTube of actual tiling projects, but only a few of this nature. Hopefully the videos are helpful for other members of Hometalk :)
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Another option is to plan your "possible" layouts before you get the tile...tile can be 12" 13" 16" etc. or even 6" minor tweaks in the grout spacing can also help....1/8" bumped to 3/16" over a long run may make up for a sliver of tile.
  • Joe S
    Joe S New York, NY
    @home repair tutor - thanks for your detailed answer. Looking forward to more videos.
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Your tutorial is great. Layout before you start to tile is so important. Walls are rarely square, so a dry fit to determine the visual is so important because if you start in the wrong place, you could end up with a tile at your entry or against the
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks KMS for your great suggestion, I'm thinking of putting together a followup video based on your comments :)
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you Joe, I'm really happy the video was helpful for you. If anyone you know can benefit from it feel free to refer them to this post or my blog.
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Leslie, I personally have never worked with a truly square wall. I laughed when you wrote about the tile box not being very informative-it's so true.
Home Repair Tutor
  • Likes

Joanieshand Sue O'Mullan Terri C LaTonya Braggs Marg C Joe S Abc Roslyn Hogan

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!