Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
07.26.14

Hostas in Florida

These plants have never turned out good for me but my local nursery people said these hostas are for Florida. Oh, notice the white flower? I hope I will be able to post 3 beautiful hosta plants in a few months.
44 Comments Displaying 15 of 44 comments | See Previous
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I posted my Florida Hostas today. Two have flowers. Of course they aren't as big as hostas grown north of here but I I'm really happy with them. This is for you Douglas Hunt.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Thank you Douglas Hunt. I'm really surprised they are growing here.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Oh Douglas Hunt I've been asked what that plant next to the Hosta on the right is and I don't know. Can you tell me what it is?
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Sherrie S LOL! I was going to complement you on that plant and then had a brain freeze on the name. I believe it is a type of Calathea, but don't hold me to that. They're not easy to grow, and I'm somewhat surprised it has made it through the winter for you.
  • Sandy Pudoff
    Sandy Pudoff Orange Park, FL
    Sherrie S I've been growing Hostas in No Fl for at least 15 years. I have Sum and Substance which has been divided at least 3 times and is again close to 4' across. I have had great success
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Sandy Pudoff I found your post most interesting. I was glad I found one Hosta that survives in Florida. How long did it take your Hosta to become so large.
    • Sandy Pudoff
      Sandy Pudoff Orange Park, FL
      Sherrie S I had to originally buy them as bare root from Northern nurseries when I first moved to FL from CA. They didn't sell them in Walmart and Home Depot like they do now. I had them in
    • Sandy Pudoff
      Sandy Pudoff Orange Park, FL
      Sherrie S I'm a regular chip head! Here's your photos, sorry I have long lost the correct first name for these guys. I'm happy if
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Douglas Hunt Those plants have been here for years. They die back in winter & come back prettier than ever. I do know they like shade and bugs don't bother them
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Sandy Pudoff do any of your hostas get flowers? I like the Walmart plant the best. I'm also looking at sum & substance. Thank you for your post.
    • Sherrie S
      Sherrie S Debary, FL
      Sandy I will go to my local Walmart and buy one if they have it. Thank you very much for your post.
  • Nancy Hetrick
    Nancy Hetrick Norwalk, OH
    I live in Ohio and all of my hostas have blue flowers. Is there any specific reason to let them bloom? I think they make the hosta look kind of leggy, so I cut them off at the bottom of the stem. Should I let them grow or is it ok to cut them back?
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Nancy Hetrick Removing the flowers will have no effect on the health of your hostas. If you don't like the flowers, cut them off.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Sandy Pudoff I am just learning about these plants and I only have three little ones. I watch them because I won't repeat a mistake. Seems I'm winning this time with my little ones. I'm going to check out a few of your suggestions & thank you.
Sherrie S
  • Likes

Susan S Pat S Liz Holland

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!