Hostas in Florida

07.26.14
These plants have never turned out good for me but my local nursery people said these hostas are for Florida. Oh, notice the white flower? I hope I will be able to post 3 beautiful hosta plants in a few months.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I'm not sure what type of hostas you have, Sherrie. Not all of them get to be a large size: there's one called "Mouse Ears" that never gets more than 8 inches.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Douglas Hunt I posted my three 1 year old hostas. The name I know them by is Florida Sun Hostas. No bugs no problems and one little flower. I hope they keep it up.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    That's a beautiful shade garden you have going on there, Sherrie.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Douglas Hunt thank you for the nice comment. The shade garden is 15' long and then another 8' all of which is protected by a beautiful bald cypress tree. All of my orchids are also protected by that tree.
  • Charlotte Belange
    Did you tell them that you live in FL. Are you keeping them in the small pots?

I put mine in a big pot in the shade after 3yrs I now have flowers.

• Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Charlotte Belange These hostas were developed for Florida so they are planted in the ground and are doing well. They made it through winter so I expect to see flowers later this year.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I posted my Florida Hostas today. Two have flowers. Of course they aren't as big as hostas grown north of here but I I'm really happy with them. This is for you Douglas Hunt
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Thank you Douglas Hunt I'm really surprised they are growing here.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Oh Douglas Hunt I've been asked what that plant next to the Hosta on the right is and I don't know. Can you tell me what it is?
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Sherrie S LOL! I was going to complement you on that plant and then had a brain freeze on the name. I believe it is a type of Calathea, but don't hold me to that. They're not easy to grow, and I'm somewhat surprised it has made it through the winter for you.
  • Sandy Pudoff
    Sandy Pudoff Orange Park, FL
    Sherrie S I've been growing Hostas in No Fl for at least 15 years. I have Sum and Substance which has been divided at least 3 times and is again close to 4' across. I have had
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Sandy Pudoff I found your post most interesting. I was glad I found one Hosta that survives in Florida. How long did it take your Hosta to become so large.
    • Sandy Pudoff
      Sandy Pudoff Orange Park, FL
      Sherrie S I had to originally buy them as bare root from Northern nurseries when I first moved to FL from CA. They didn't sell them in Walmart and Home Depot like they do now. I
    • Sandy Pudoff
      Sandy Pudoff Orange Park, FL
      Sherrie S I'm a regular chip head! Here's your photos, sorry I have long lost the correct first name
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Douglas Hunt Those plants have been here for years. They die back in winter & come back prettier than ever. I do know they like shade and bugs don't bother them
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Sandy Pudoff do any of your hostas get flowers? I like the Walmart plant the best. I'm also looking at sum & substance. Thank you for your post.
    • Sherrie S
      Sherrie S Debary, FL
      Sandy I will go to my local Walmart and buy one if they have it. Thank you very much for your post.
  • Nancy Hetrick
    Nancy Hetrick Norwalk, OH
    I live in Ohio and all of my hostas have blue flowers. Is there any specific reason to let them bloom? I think they make the hosta look kind of leggy, so I cut them off at the bottom of the stem. Should I let them grow or is it ok to cut them back?
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Nancy Hetrick Removing the flowers will have no effect on the health of your hostas. If you don't like the flowers, cut them off.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Sandy Pudoff I am just learning about these plants and I only have three little ones. I watch them because I won't repeat a mistake. Seems I'm winning this time with my little ones. I'm going to check out a few of your suggestions & thank you.
Sherrie S