Storage in Small Half Bathroom

Do it yourself 04.22.16
We needed a space to store bathroom supplies, such as extra toilet paper, toothbrushes, & hair accessories in our tiny powder room. We used the space above the toilet to create floating shelves to hold all the necessities.
We began by making wooden braces & nailing them into the wall.
Then we cut some finished plywood for the shelves & my husband used a router to create the cap for the front of the shelves. Depending on how think you want the shelves, you could probably use a piece of trellis wood for the end.
Next, we installed the top & bottoms of the shelves by nailing them to the braces. Finally, we nailed the fronts to the shelves.
Floating shelves provide lots of storage in a tiny bathroom.

To see more: http://designedtodwell.blogspot.com/2012/06/handy-half-bath.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• ThomasMaloney
    ThomasMaloney Australia
    The final storage shelves look incredibly neat! You guys did a really good job of making the most of a tiny space here!
  • Cmackay1
    Cmackay1 Andover, MA
    Very nice!!! But I don't see any TP, tooth brushes, hair accessories which was the purpose of the shelf.
  • Debi53
    debi53 Broadway, NC
    You did a beautiful job on these. Not only functional, but so attractive in your bath.
  • MelBrandle
    MelBrandle Australia
    These are the kind of storage solutions that I would like people to see – easy DIY storage solutions that does not involve atrocious costs! There are also a number of DIYs in pinterest that you could do at home, ranging from making mason jars look
  • Wendy W
    Wendy W Milford, OH
    Thanks! Glad you found this helpful!
  • Shelly Dabichan
    Shelly Dabichan Lawton, OK
    I love these shelves and wondered how they were done!!! I am so doing these in my small master bath as soon as I get the chance. Probably this summer!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
  • Lynn
    Lynn Rehoboth Beach, DE
    I love the way floating shelves look - not cumbersome and space hogging like regular shelves. You and your man did an excellent job.
  • ThomasMaloney
    ThomasMaloney Australia
    It's a very nicely done job! And it really creates a lot of storage space in the loo for you now hey? Excellent walkthrough Wendy, thanks for sharing!
  • Diy Design Fanatic
    diy Design Fanatic Charlotte, NC
    Your shelves look great!
  • Judy Anstess
    Judy Anstess Fresno, CA
    I would look on Ebay or Etsy and find some really neat medium sizes sea shells and glue them around that beautiful mirror too.
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Easley, SC
    The drawback that I see is that ea. time the toilet is flushed--w/out the lid down, germs are sprayed everywhere in the room, including all the items on the shelves. We don't keep our toothbrushes in the bathrooms for that reason. The shelves do look
Wendy W