Turning a tomato cage into a chandelier

My Favs 11.04.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I knew we "needed" a chandelier for the pergola my dear sweet husband got me for Mother's Day but where could I find what I wanted.... it had to be made of old materials and crystals. A quick trip through the garage reminded me that we had a stack of old tomato cages which had not been put to use as of yet. In fact my original purpose for them was to set them in our old cement planters upside down and drape them in tiny Christmas lights for the winter. Well here it was early summer and they still sat.... old, slightly bent from years of use and just the perfect patina!

Inspiration struck.

The ends were cut down with bolt cutter and bent over to form the top. A spool of old wire was woven in and out around the body to form a cage of sorts. More wire was added to the top for reinforcement. Old crystals and yard sale beads were wired on. The hanging fixture (available at Lowe's) was screwed in place, spray painted to blend in and then the fixture was hung under the protective covering of our pergola. An Edison bulb was added to further enhance the aged appearance. The cord was plugged in, the switch was "thrown"... instant

• Yvonne
    Yvonne Canada
    perfect, stealing it!
  • Dee - A Lapin Life
    This is so creative!
  • Jean Luby
    Jean Luby Canada
    What imagination you have!! Tomato cage of all things. I already have crystals from an old chandelier that I will now use. This will go on my back porch, have been trying to figure out what kind of fixture would cover the hanging light bulb. Can't wait
  • Jean Luby
    Jean Luby Canada
    I don't know how I would attach it to the light bulb part as both ends of the cage are open.
    • Peggy W
      Peggy W Kokomo, IN
      Jean Luby When we started both ends of this tomato cage were open as well. I cut off the very bottom row and then bent the stays in to form the top of the "shade." After that I took
    SANDY HOLLY Rochester, NY
Peggy W

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post