Turning a tomato cage into a chandelier

Decor Ideas 12.23.15
I knew we "needed" a chandelier for the pergola my dear sweet husband got me for Mother's Day but where could I find what I wanted.... it had to be made of old materials and crystals. A quick trip through the garage reminded me that we had a stack of old tomato cages which had not been put to use as of yet. In fact my original purpose for them was to set them in our old cement planters upside down and drape them in tiny Christmas lights for the winter. Well here it was early summer and they still sat.... old, slightly bent from years of use and just the perfect patina!

Inspiration struck.

The ends were cut down with bolt cutter and bent over to form the top. A spool of old wire was woven in and out around the body to form a cage of sorts. More wire was added to the top for reinforcement. Old crystals and yard sale beads were wired on. The hanging fixture (available at Lowe's) was screwed in place, spray painted to blend in and then the fixture was hung under the protective covering of our pergola. An Edison bulb was added to further enhance the aged appearance. The cord was plugged in, the switch was "thrown"... instant

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    Marilee H, that is RIGHT. One can always add to the ideas given. I was thinking about adding Christmas string lights. How about that???
  • Marilee H
    Marilee H Youngstown, OH
    I like this very much. I might try it, with some variations.
  • Benita D
    Benita D Scottsdale, AZ
    OMGosh what a great idea!
  • Trudy S
    Trudy S Myerstown, PA
    This such a great idea....I saw a much smaller version and used seed beads, and put circles with wire to put in the candles........my daugther in law lives in a cottage and we will surely makis for the porch...thankyou thankyou
  • Joy M
    Joy M Sun City, CA
    Now that's imagination!
  • CA M
    CA M Grand Rapids, MI
    High Class up the___!!!!!!!
  • Sheila R
    Sheila R Stone Mountain, GA
    Carmen if you can't say something nice shhhh! Great idea Peggy
  • Schroeder Design/Build, Inc.
    Very creative, hmm I should try this out?
  • Lisa M
    Lisa M Atlanta, GA
    My eye is beholding a beautifully creative chandelier! Nice work!
  • Carol M
    Carol M Gig Harbor, WA
    Perfect! How clever of you.. I think I will share your idea for my garden. thanks..
  • Carmen C
    Carmen C Wesley Chapel, FL
    I guess beauty IS in the eyes of the beholder. I find this really ugly, the saving grace are the crystals.
  • Peggy W
    Peggy W Kokomo, IN
    Billie W... a few of the crystals are from an old chandelier but the remainder are a mix of glass and plastic beads from Hobby Lobby. I made my own jump rings from wire we already had to connect the beads together to form hanging crystal "chains" but
  • Glenda B
    Glenda B Maryville, TN
    I like it!
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    GREAT IDEA!!!!
  • Maryanne
    Maryanne Clay, NY
    I am so pleased with this site. This tomato cage light is a great idea.
Peggy W