Tomatoes and their need for water

Plants 19 hours ago
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!
  • Marilynn Gillespie
    Thank you, James. I will try this, but something makes me think it is an animal as one of the cucumbers has what looks like to tooth marks about a 1/4" deep.
    • DORLIS
      DORLIS Silex, MO
      Marilynn Gillespie Try "Liquid Fence". You have to reapply after a rain, but it does keep most critters away. The ingredients are garlic and rotten eggs but for humans, the smell goes away fairley soon.
  • Marilynn Gillespie
    Possibly, although, I will try the neem oil. Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it.
  • Suemuchai
    Hi James, does the water can remain in the cage all along or at what point did you remove it?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Suemuchai you leave it in all season long as you use it to water until you remove the plants
  • Kathryn
    Kathryn Australia
    Hi James what compost do you use?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Kathryn I make my own from grass clippings, leaves, kitchen and garden scraps, but any compost will do. Composted manures at box stores are fine,
  • Terry Headlee
    Terry Headlee Saint Cloud, FL
    How many and size of holes did you drill? Thank you.
James Bryan C

Search Feedback