Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Tomatoes and their need for water

Garden 1 hour ago
I started may 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches... buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground... put in two shovels full of compost... then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and try not to water the leaves... these four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms...
655 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 29 of 655 comments | See Previous
  • Pamela
    Pamela Towanda, PA
    How high is the wire
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Pamela 48 inch wire... But don't use the same wire I did in the photos... use a stronger fence wire 6x6 holes (you will thank me later) or use some concrete reinforcement wire available at lowes or home depot etc and make cages out of that...
  • Pamela
    Pamela Towanda, PA
    How far apart are your plants ?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Pamela I put these plants about 12 inches or so apart around the garbage can... Using a 5 gallon bucket for two plants is easier to deal with... Put each plant about 6 inches from the
  • Kady6003
    Is it hard to get into the center to find ripe tomatoes?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Kady6003 It was, but I am 6'4" and I could reach over easily... However I have adapted the method to a 5 gallon bucket placed between 2 plants... Use a larger cage with larger holes too
  • Charlie Moore
    Charlie Moore Sapphire, NC
    Approximately what is the diameter of the wire cage around the plants?
  • Beth
    Beth Ona, WV
    Did you put compost in bucket or just around plants? It reads like you put in the bucket but why would you do that?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Cece You are correct.. but most folks still write back or message how even the compost will leach through the bucket.. either way the plants get a great feeding at the roots and you eventually build the soil for the next crop in your rotation
  • Dorine
    Dorine Canada
    Aren't you supposed to prune your tomatoes?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Dorine Not always... I used Determinate varieties which require little pruning.. Think of it like this.. every sucker you prune off decreases the amount of fruit you will get.
  • Vicki Burke
    Vicki Burke Oak Ridge, NJ
    Because then if the compost is in the bucket and you fill it with water it will leach out the nutrients slowly into the dirt for the plants use.
  • Virginia Bevins Fester Day
    Virginia Bevins Fester Day Sterling Heights, MI
    How can tomatoes ripen thru all the leaves , looks like it is too full for sun to get to the tomatoes
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Virginia Bevins Fester Day Tomatoes do not require that much sun.. these 4 plants yielded over 100 lbs of tomatoes which I had to give away, can make into salsa,
  • Earl Emerson
    Earl Emerson Lawton, OK
    James Bryan C What size holes and how many did you drill into the 5 gal bucket? I live in SW OK and this looks like it will really help our production. Also, have you tried this method with any other plants?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Earl Emerson 1/4 inch holes.. three rows one at bottom edge of bucket 3 to 4 holes.... up 3 to 4 inches and place 4 to 5 holes up another 3 to 4 inches and place 4 to 6 holes...
    • Earl Emerson
      Earl Emerson Lawton, OK
      James Bryan C Thanks for the reply. I noticed after I had posted that there were about 600 posts above me and looked back at them.
  • Nature's Cradle-WA State
    I've read articles where gardeners use this same root watering method using PVC pipe (more of a space saver).
  • Grammadueks
    grammadueks East Wareham, MA
    what do you use under the plants so that no weeds will grow in them? thank you
  • Matthew Elswick
    Next, a lesson in proper tomato pruning. If I left tomatoes that overgrown they would all die of late blight on the first cloudy day.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Matthew Elswick I don't prune determinate tomatoes.. Except up to the first bloom. I use NOP approved Copper on my commercial operation and have not ever had a problem with
  • Lisa
    Lisa Australia
    Thanks for the great tips & replies to other posts. I'm a novice gardener & need all the help I can get.
  • Sheila
    Sheila Lockport, LA
    Thanks for sharing ...will try this for sure.
  • Hartfamily1011
    James, thank you so much for your patience and sharing your expertise. I've had some good luck with tomatoes and some seasons, no luck at all. Next season I'm going to try this 5 gal. bucket method with the indeterminate tomatoes just like you. I bet it
James Bryan C

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing