Tomatoes and their need for water

5 hours ago
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!
  • Janece
    Janece Chamberlain, SD
    LOL! I use tomato cages now but next year I'm going to try the cattle panels.
  • Susan Arrington
    Susan Arrington Meridian, MS
    what the heck is cattle panels
    • DORLIS
      DORLIS Silex, MO
      Susan Arrington You do not live in the country. Go to any farm store or an elevator where you can buy feed. The only reason I have not used them is they are large panels made
  • Mary Cook
    Mary Cook Lubec, ME
    James are you now Hoot and Holler Farms? I put a post on there but I'll repeat it here. I wrote to you earlier this year for some info. I followed your directions and I cannot thank you enough. My plants are healthier than they've ever been and I'm going
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Mary Cook Thank you so much for your kind words... Often times hearing the success from others helps dispel the doubters and nay sayers.... glad to hear of your great season
  • Tara Frank Santiago
    Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
    I can't believe the season is beginning to wrap up and I still have 9 foot tomato plants growing tomatoes!!!! This system has by far been a huge success for me...My ten tomato plants have yielded amazing results...I have had 5x more eggplants and
    • Tara Frank Santiago
      Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
      I will definitely keep all of the green tomatoes, I have been keeping them in a brown bag to ripen...I have made sauce three times and the brown bag stipends them perfectly for my sauce...
  • Mary M. Prinzavalli
    Mary M. Prinzavalli Saint Louis, MO
    James Bryan, I have not had success with my tomato plants but will try my luck with your suggestions. Thank you. By the way I really like your dog. Is that a Basset hound. Sure is cute and love the ears.
James Bryan C

Search Feedback