Tomatoes and their need for water

10 hours ago
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!
  • Kathy B
    Kathy B Rochelle, GA
    How big a garbage can is this? (Picturing digging a 3-feet deep hole.) And, yes, I'm going to try this next year!
    • Kathy
      Kathy Canada
      James Bryan C no I didn't use a garbage can, I used a flower pot that was maybe 6 inches in diameter, but it is taller than most, then I put a colander from the $ store over top
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    I will try this next year. The weather messed up the garden this year. In the meantime, I am planting for the winter. I have 13 windows floor to ceiling with southern exposure that I am going to put to good use. I am planting in pots and when the weather
  • Punky Morrison-Richey
    Punky Morrison-Richey American Fork, UT
    The idea just came to my mind... You stated that u tried not to wet leaves... Why dont you make PVC watering system? I wish i can explian better with picture drawn.. But i cant :) build it just like you would with sprinklers, execpt turn it into
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Punky Morrison-Richey you could do that, but a garden hose works just as well placing it into the bucket and moving to the next bucket.. because the flow rate of water
  • Vicky
    Vicky Raleigh, NC
    I did this too. Now if I could figure out how to keep the darn squirrels from stealing all my tomatoes!!! Red, green, small, big. They don't care. They sit on the deck banister and eat 1/2 and brazenly leave the other 1/2!!!
  • Heather L. Morigeau
    Hey check it out I used your idea for an indoor planter!!

https://m.facebook.com/pl4ntge3k/albums/8382...

James Bryan C