Tomatoes and their need for water

2 hours ago
I started may 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches... buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground... put in two shovels full of compost... then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and try not to water the leaves... these four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms...
  • Edmund Hamel
    Edmund Hamel Jacksonville, FL
    I live in NE Florida should I plant tomatoes in the direct sun? or indirect sunlight ?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Edmund Hamel I always planted in direct sunlight, however when I lived in Florida I always had a problem with sun scald.. so some shade in the late afternoon would not hurt...
    • Nancyogolden
      Edmund Hamel Plant in direct sun. Tomatoes love sun and heat!
  • Tim Scarbrough
    Tim Scarbrough Climax, GA
    What size holes do you drill in the trash can?
  • Deb Cragan
    Deb Cragan Australia
    How do you keep the bugs off
    • Susan mcfarland
      Susan mcfarland Palatka, FL
      Deb Cragan Neep oil is good for everything..a little expensive but it really works! you can get it just about everywhere (garden or hardware stores). also marigolds and citronella really help.. :)
  • Wayne Bullock
    Wayne Bullock Lubbock, TX
    How deep do you set the bucket in the soil? Are holes above or below the soil? Thanks Wayne and Denise Bullock, Lubbock Tx
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Wayne Bullock the bucket in down in the soil with the top row barely above the ground... so the root zone 6 to 8 inches down gets watered as well as the center and along the topsoil...
  • Saralee Wadsworth
    Saralee Wadsworth Idaho Falls, ID
    How many holes did you drill in each level
  • RICK
    RICK Oklahoma City, OK
    I read an article last year that said to trim off all but a few leaves to let the air circulate through the pant. This also allows the plant to spend more of its energy producing fruit instead of foliage.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      RICK on indeterminate tomatoes I would agree as they will go on and on forever... however with determinate tomatoes you only need to prune up to the first blossom set... I used
  • Kimberly Thomson
    She said "in the centre of the system" not over.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Kimberly Thomson put the buckets in the center of the plants and place the compost in the bucket then water inside the bucket...
    • Dandaman
      dandaman Staten Island, NY
      Kimberly Thomson What I do in my garden is I take Italian ice pails that are plastic and cut them into two equal sized pieces with no bottoms.They are close to a 3 gallon
  • Sarahsmileawhile2012
    Thank you for restating my question, Kimberly, and others. You are dead on with my inquiry.

Sarah

• Jesse
    Jesse Salem, UT
    Please help us understand the point of the 2nd & 3rd rows of holes. What do they accomplish that the bottom row of holes doesn't?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Jesse no the three rows of holes allow water to seep into three different root zones... if the only holes that mattered were the bottom only the roots 8 inches or so down would
  • Jan Easter
    What varieties have you found do best with this process?
  • Ruth Arnold Mocadlo
    Ruth Arnold Mocadlo Independence, OH
    8 kills honey bees!!! If you have to use a spray,muse Neem Oil. It's a fungicide, herbicide, miticide. Totally organic, found at lowes or any gardening center.
  • Eduffin
    What kind of compost do you use in the bucket?
  • Gonfshn77302
    gonfshn77302 Conroe, TX
    I too would like to know what kind of compost you're using. I have composted manure but if that isn't optimal I'll go get whatever is. Definitely borrowing your idea as this Tx. heat makes daily watering a chore and I don't want to risk my heirlooms again.
  • Will Simmons
    Will Simmons Panama City, FL
    How big of a hole did you drill in the can
  • Judith Mac Arthur
    I plan on trying out your method of growing tomatoes, however, I have many ground squirrels and gophers, so you just gave me a great idea. That is, that I will sink a 5 gallon plastic pot that has holes drilled into the plastic and then put the plants
James Bryan C