Tomatoes and their need for water

6 hours ago
I started may 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches... buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground... put in two shovels full of compost... then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and try not to water the leaves... these four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms...
  • Greta Dillard Ellis
    Greta Dillard Ellis San Antonio, TX
    How long should it take for bucket to drain? Mine still had water in it the next day. Made holes exactly like ones in video.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Greta Dillard Ellis it depends upon the compost a finished compost will allow for rapid draining... take a stick and stir the mixture you may have too coarse of a mix and
  • Sabrown
    sabrown Bullhead City, AZ
    We live in the desert and don't really have anything to make compost from. Can I get a bag of store bought compost from a store like Lowes and use that. Not sure it what they sell is whats needed. I planted my tomatoes this past weekend and have the 5
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Sabrown yes you can... but remember compost can be made from your kitchen scraps... newspapers etc...
  • Melody
    Melody Brandon, MS
    James, do you have any pictures of the other items you grew in this method, please post?
  • Rsokonek
    Hi James, I read 300+ posts...LOL. I live in SC and have tired growing summer squash 3 years, always they fall prey to squash bugs before I ever see them. What do you use on Squash? Neem?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Rsokonek Neem is good as is dicatomis earth sprinkled around the stems... Even better is a 8 sprayed o the plants prior to blooming...
  • Cdkennemer
    James, I thought I read where you changed to a different mesh wire (4" X 4") which would make it easier to access the tomatoes. I can only find this in 100' rolls. Where can I find smaller rolls? 50' maybe?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Cdkennemer I have found even better that wire... to go to tractor supply and buy two cattle panels around $20.00 each and a few sticks of 1/2 emt pipe at lowes drive the pipe into the
  • Jim_gregory1
    I found some 48" x 84" sheets 4x4 holes in where the wall plaster stuff at Home Depot. I think they were less than 8.00
  • Gonfshn77302
    gonfshn77302 Conroe, TX
    Question wrapped in too many words here :) I set up a couple of grow beds using this method. No complaints at all. The corn is growing like a weed and the beans have put on over a foot in the last 6 days. In fact the beans are outgrowing the corn so
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Gonfshn77302 Sifting would help if the compost isn't "Finished" meaning no sticks or large debris... the best bet is you just leave it in there as it will breakdown some more...
  • Tara Frank Santiago
    Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it, what other vegetables would this system work for?
    • Tara Frank Santiago
      Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
      Thank you so much James, I appreciate the reply, we are excited for our garden this yea
  • Kimmy Montney Wright
    Hi James. My dad and I are going to try this. We got buckets from the local donut store for a buck a piece. He has the wire tower but we are unsure what size holes to drill and how far apart. Thanks so much.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Kimmy Montney Wright For each plant on the bucket (I say each side) 2 plants per 5 gallon bucket drill three sets of holes using a 1/4 inch bit three holes at the bottom
  • Rsokonek
    Hi James! Yesterday put in my determinate tomatoes with one row of 16' cattle fencing X0XX0XX0X; with X being tomatoes since a 5 gal bucket does 2 plants. Hoping this variation works James! I also used the bucket method putting in my banana and bell
  • Mike Edwards
    where do I find video?
  • Anett
    Anett Hungary
    Helo. I'm not find this www.facebook.com/provisionfarms on the facebook. :(
  • Cdkennemer
    James, are you using homemade compost? In the buckets? Or store bought? If store bought what do you recommend?
  • Abby L. Swindle Crager
    The only question I have is, do you put the compost in the water bucket, or around the bucket? I probably am over thinking this, but would still like direction, please. Thank you.
    • Martine Brucheau
      Martine Brucheau Sacramento, CA
      Abby L. Swindle Crager In the bucket, when you water it will leach out the side holes onto each plant. I'm not sure if he allowed the suckers to grow as well. That may
  • Abby L. Swindle Crager
    Ok @Martine Brucheau, haven't had a lot of experience growing tomatoe's, so what are "suckers"? Thank you for replying to my earlier comment.
James Bryan C