Tomatoes and their need for water

5 hours ago
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!
  • Tim Kennedy
    Tim Kennedy Gibsonville, NC
    It's not uncommon for your leaving to get brown spots. As James said it takes a while for the ground to saturate. How often are watering. What variety plants are you using, and how much prep work did you do too the soil?
  • Tara Frank Santiago
    Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
    Our cherry tomatoes are exploding, there are well over 80 tomatoes growing between the two plants...Yellow tomatoes seem to be going a little slower, but there are a few dozen
    • Tara Frank Santiago
      Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
      Our chicken wire fence is only 6 feet tall, so you can see the enormous growth.
  • Tara Frank Santiago
    Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
    I'm so bummed, we have had some extremely high amounts of rain in the past 10 days, I checked on the garden everyday...Monday I noticed two of my cucumber plants were looking rather withered despite the rain we have had...On Tuesday they liked much
  • Tara Frank Santiago
    Tara Frank Santiago Old Forge, PA
    I started a thread to share all my pictures so I don't hog up the thread here if anyone wants to pop over

http://www.hometalk.com/9152649/the-santiago...

• Shelley
    Shelley Kalkaska, MI
    You would think a screen top on that can would keep the skeeters from multiplying....small tomatoes are great with this but the large need wider wire....
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Shelley in the three years I haven doing it this way II have never had a problem with skeeters.... and I now use cattle panels for cages and that solved the other problem
James Bryan C