Tomatoes and their need for water | Hometalk
1.6M Views

Tomatoes and their need for water

1.6M Views
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
  • tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, May 28th 2012
May 28th 2012
  • tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, End of June toping the 3 ft cage
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
  • tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!
  • Tina
    Tina Superior, MT

buy soil from store and use large buckets or planters to plant in. works well for me every year!

• Judy Benedict

this is great way to grow tomatoes ....love this

• Estelle gill
    Estelle gill Sabattus, ME

I tried it and it works, Thank you

• Cdianegray
    Cdianegray Danville, GA

Excellent idea James. Love your dog.

• Mssmatch
    Mssmatch Florence, KY

Order a truck load of manure and work into that clay soil with the rototiller. Now plant the tomato plants and keep well watered but not on the leaves they don't like wet leaves

­