Tomatoes and their need for water

tomatoes 6 hours ago
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

on This Post

• Judy McDonald
    Judy McDonald Scranton, KS
    I can't wait to try this. Thank you James.
  • Toni Waterman
    Looks like a lot of nitrogen stimulation which creates an abundance of leaf growth. I can't tell from the photo how much fruit there really is.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Toni Waterman I harvested over 100 lbs of tomatoes off of these 4 plants.... had more tomatoes than I could deal with that year.. commercially I aim for 25 lbs per plant and
  • Rosemary Brown
    Rosemary Brown Tucson, AZ
    I did this last spring. Works like a charm. Except I used hardware cloth instead of a bucket to hold the compost and I ran a garden hose with sprinkler attached and wired it over the the compost. That is the only place I watered as the roots of the
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    Got hornworms, I have found hand picking and dropping them in a can of soap water or whatever you use as pesticide or you can feed them to the birds.
  • Davidwella10
    you dont pinch out the side shoots then, if not does it affect the performance of the plant by producing too much
James Bryan C