Tomatoes and their need for water

garden tips 10 hours ago
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

on This Post

• Noreen
    Noreen Newport, RI
    Is it really a five gallon bucket? And the bucket is just to catch the water, correct? Do you add fertilizer to the bucket water at all?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Noreen A 5 gallon bucket will work for 2 plants place the compost or fertilizer in the bucket add the water to the bucket the water leaches out fertilizing 3 different root zones
  • Noreen
    Noreen Newport, RI
    In your first paragraph, you said 4 plants around the bucket. I am confused. Is 4 or 2 plants around the 5 gallon bucket. Sorry to be such a nit picker. :)
    • Lorna M
      Lorna M Newton, IA
      Noreen I put three around a very large nursery pot that I buried up to the neck. The large holes at the bottom show you where to place your plants.
  • Knackykat55
    Will they grow as well on the pacific north west,it is not as warm as other places
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Knackykat55 Yes with season extension tools like a low tunnel for early and late frosts get a variety that matures early will help also.. but I can tell you this has been used in
  • James Bryan C
    James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
    Go to the ask questions section answered multiple times.... Hometalk messes up too much for me to take 20 minutes to type out the same information... it has taken me 5 minutes to post just this small bit
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    STILL WAITING TO TRY THIS, FELL AND BROKE LEFT ARM. I DO NOT RECCOMEND DOING THIS, MESSED UP ALL PLANS FOR GARDEN. WILL BE PLANTING IN POTS ON THE DECK THIS YEAR.
James Bryan C