Tomatoes and their need for water

Gardening 2 hours ago
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!
  • Ellen H
    Ellen H Hamden, OH
    I'm going to try this method next year. Already have mine in the ground.
  • Jodi Stevens
    Jodi Stevens Langeloth, PA
    Going to try. Great idea
  • Barbara Nyswonger
    Barbara Nyswonger Yorba Linda, CA
    How Often to I add compost? TY!
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Barbara Nyswonger 2 times per week until fruit starts setting...then just water until you decide you have more tomatoes than you can eat, preserve, and give away
  • Kathy Casserly
    Kathy Casserly Scottsdale, AZ
    Is it possible to do this in pots? I don't have a garden, but LOVE tomatoes. Thanks for posting this amazing idea.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Kathy Casserly Try a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut out drill a couple of holes in the lid and use a top dressing of compost instead of in the bottle drill one hole at the
  • Tammy Lowe
    Tammy Lowe Warren, MI
    Do you think this would work for peppers as well?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Tammy Lowe Yes as well as eggplants. you can make some adjustments for root zone depth and use it for cucumbers, squash and melons as well
  • Tamara Olson
    Tamara Olson Blaine, WA
    what size holes and how many

in a 5 gallon for two plants?

• James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Tamara Olson 1/4" drill bit on one side of bucket along bottom edge drill three holes go up 4 inches and drill 4 to 5 then up 3 to 4 inches and drlll 4 to 6 holes repeat for other side bury up to where the top row of holes is barely above the ground
  • Tedro
    Tedro Finland
    God Bless You & Yours James!
  • Wa
    Wa Gaithersburg, MD
    What size holes do you drill?

• Mholloway1
    can it be used with plants
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Mholloway1 I use it with primarily water loving vegetables, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cucumbers, melons and squash.. but you could adapt it in other areas for other plants
  • D Friesen
    D Friesen Canada
    This is a Genius idea!!!
  • Chinnu Florida
    Can you please show me step by step.thanks
  • Diane Ball Handler
    the videos do not play ...
  • Lenny Cohen
    Lenny Cohen Clemmons, NC
    What about a 55-gallon trash can with 10 plants around it? does the idea scale?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Lenny Cohen You Could scale it. But remember that you need a certain amount of space for each plant... the 4 I did arund a 13 gallon can were fine so you might be able to do 10
  • Anita Albrewczynski
    Do you prune back and pluck out "suckers"?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Anita Albrewczynski I prune the leaves under the first blossoms and then nothing else from there... which is what most commercial growers do. pruning does not help in
    • Anita Albrewczynski
      Thank you so much for your speedy and in depth response! Good to know!!!
  • Heather Carpenter Hall
    Heather Carpenter Hall Virginia Beach, VA
    Hello! How do you get water into the middle of the plants when they are so big without getting water on the leaves??
James Bryan C