Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Garden Inspiration 2 days ago

Tomatoes and their need for water

I started may 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches... buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground... put in two shovels full of compost... then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and try not to water the leaves... these four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms...
443 Comments Displaying 15 of 443 comments | See Previous
  • Pamela Goulart
    Pamela Goulart Tracy, CA
    Not too sure what the holes should look like around the trash can...Can you draw a simple pattern or diagram for all of us to follow. Where are the second set of holes going...6-8 inches above the rim line? I am so confused...and do we bury the trash can
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Pamela Goulart 1 Dig a hole 8 inches deep... 2. drill 1/4 inch holes at the very bottom edge of the side of the can or bucket... 3 holes one inch apart... second row of holes are 3 inches
  • Misty Dyke
    Misty Dyke Oak Hill, WV
    Looks awesome, but is it difficult to harvest the tomatoes?
  • Katherine Sabean Rodgers
    You are Awesome James!! Nahh it would not be hard to harvest. However if it was me I would possibly cut some of the wire and roll it back to have good access depending how tuff the wire was or flexible.
  • Wittsend
    Wittsend Australia
    does anyone have a picture of the size of can and also with the holes before they bury it ……..they are possible different sizes here in austrtalia
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Wittsend I have several videos on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/provisionfarms
    • Thegrayfoxes
      Thegrayfoxes Gray, GA
      We used 3 and 5 gallon buckets with 5/8" holes spaced 1" apart around and 2 rows 8" (top to bottom) apart. We also drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of the bucket then buried them all but about an inch. Out plants are. Now 8ft tall and full of tomatoes
  • James Bryan C
    James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
    The wire was hard :) I did try cutting it but the arthritis sometimes limits the strength in the hands.. Now that we are on our farm I use field fence for tomatoes that need trellising which has large 6x6 openings...
  • KrisR
    KrisR Highland Park, MI
    I do something similar with 4 inch PVC pipe--drill some holes at one end--1/4 inch and bury the pipe to about 2 feet--add pea gravel to stabilize--drill another hole to pass a 1 inch pipe through to attach a trellis or fence to --water through the pipes.
  • Annette Hird
    Annette Hird Australia
    Fantastic idea James. I had no luck with tomatoes last year due to the prolonged heat wave. Will definitely try your idea this year. Hope you don't mind if I share this with my readers in my next newsletter
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Annette Hird Share away... Some are using this idea in many places around the world. I am humbled that it has gotten this much attention. Our facebook page has videos and a note regarding the
  • John
    John Knoxville, TN
    My dad this this 60 years ago, we used 1 gal steel cans with holes in the bottom, we put cow manure and mulch id the cans and watered them every couple of days. The cans were buried all the way in the ground.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      John The idea has been around for a long while.. I love how the old timers knew various ways to extend harvest, keep what they had producing longer and even like the way your dad used the old
  • Wittsend
    Wittsend Australia
    thanks for that i was wondering because our garbage cans are 50ltrs
James Bryan C

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!