Hometalk.com

9 hours ago

Tomatoes and their need for water

I started may 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches... buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground... put in two shovels full of compost... then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and try not to water the leaves... these four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms...
342 Comments Displaying 15 of 342 comments | See Previous
  • 1/4" holes......James your facebook link is not working, what is the correct name please?
  • What is the circumference of the fence?
  • Lin Moseley Lynchburg, VA
    I tried that same idea one year with peppers and pumpkins, except I buried plastic soda bottles with holes poked in the sides (not the 2 liter ones but about half that size, using a bulb planter) up to the necks, leaving the caps in place. Every few
    • James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Lin Moseley Congratulations on the bumper crop... As I have said this is an adaptation of what some of the old timers did with coffee cans back in the day...Anything that helps increase the yeild
  • Brenda Brown Rainbow City, AL
    What kind of tomato plants to you use?
    • James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Brenda Brown I personally prefer for the home garden determinate plants. They produce the majority of their fruit in a shorter window of time. So you can get out all the quart jars and get
  • Melanie Lexington, MS
    Thank you I am going to try this but how big do the holes in the can need to be
  • Connie Colson Wauconda, IL
    Wow, how can you find them in the forest?
    • James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Connie Colson The red stands out once they start turning.. Most folks comment about pruning but these are determinate tomatoes which need no pruning except the leaves up to the first
  • Brenda Brown Rainbow City, AL
    How much sun do these tomatoes need a day. Morning or afternoon sun? Or all day?

Thank you.

• James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Brenda Brown as much as they can get. however they can be grown in partial shade and will still yield fairly well. I prefer if I have any choice in the matter to have late afternoon shade
  • Mike Argue Kalamazoo, MI
    I saw your posting in some internet search and I talked with a friend of mine that is an State Inspector about the concept. That coincidentally she has been doing this for years out on her parents farm. So I have put out the word to all my friends that I