Tomatoes and their need for water

Dream Home Yesterday
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

on This Post

• Noreen
    Noreen Newport, RI
    In your first paragraph, you said 4 plants around the bucket. I am confused. Is 4 or 2 plants around the 5 gallon bucket. Sorry to be such a nit picker. :)
  • Knackykat55
    Will they grow as well on the pacific north west,it is not as warm as other places
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Knackykat55 Yes with season extension tools like a low tunnel for early and late frosts get a variety that matures early will help also.. but I can tell you this has been used in
  • James Bryan C
    James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
    Go to the ask questions section answered multiple times.... Hometalk messes up too much for me to take 20 minutes to type out the same information... it has taken me 5 minutes to post just this small bit
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    STILL WAITING TO TRY THIS, FELL AND BROKE LEFT ARM. I DO NOT RECCOMEND DOING THIS, MESSED UP ALL PLANS FOR GARDEN. WILL BE PLANTING IN POTS ON THE DECK THIS YEAR.
  • Emi Harr
    You can also do this on a smaller scale... plant your tomato in a planter, but in the center of the soil, place a 2 liter pop bottle with the top cut off, and a few holes punched in the bottom. Then it's very easy to simply fill up the pop bottle with
James Bryan C