Hometalk.com

Gardening 2 days ago

Tomatoes and their need for water

I started may 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches... buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground... put in two shovels full of compost... then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and try not to water the leaves... these four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms...
336 Comments Displaying 16 of 336 comments | See Previous
  • Mam Anahuac, TX
    I am taking your advice. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience. I also want to tell you ...... you have the patience of Job in dealing with people. Mam TX
    • James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Mam Thank you.. I was raised that if people have questions you try to answer them.. Keep me posted on how your tomatoes turn out.. We all can learn from our experiences and make adaptations according to our own abilities and limitations
  • Long_legs25@hotmail.com Fort Worth, TX
    James Bryan C...I planted my four tomato plants around a five gallon bucket yesterday....drilled the holes, added compost to the hole and the in the bucket, added the water, but the water didn't stay in too long, drained pretty quick, is that normal?
    • James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Long_legs25@hotmail.com It is normal... it will drain fast but once the ground starts to retain
  • William Hass Jr. Valley City, ND
    what size holes do you drill in the pails
  • 1/4" holes......James your facebook link is not working, what is the correct name please?
  • What is the circumference of the fence?
  • Lin Moseley Lynchburg, VA
    I tried that same idea one year with peppers and pumpkins, except I buried plastic soda bottles with holes poked in the sides (not the 2 liter ones but about half that size, using a bulb planter) up to the necks, leaving the caps in place. Every few
    • James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Lin Moseley Congratulations on the bumper crop... As I have said this is an adaptation of what some of the old timers did with coffee cans back in the day...Anything that helps increase the yeild
  • Brenda Brown Rainbow City, AL
    What kind of tomato plants to you use?
    • James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Brenda Brown I personally prefer for the home garden determinate plants. They produce the majority of their fruit in a shorter window of time. So you can get out all the quart jars and get
  • Melanie Lexington, MS
    Thank you I am going to try this but how big do the holes in the can need to be
  • Connie Colson Wauconda, IL
    Wow, how can you find them in the forest?