Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Tomatoes and their need for water

Plants & Flowers 6 days ago
I started may 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches... buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground... put in two shovels full of compost... then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and try not to water the leaves... these four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms...
521 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 521 comments | See Previous
  • Susan From Colorado
    I am really glad that I re-read your post and wish I had done it sooner.. We lost our entire crop last year to blossom rot and so this year decided to follow your specifications to a "T"... It has worked wonderful.. the only problem is that we also used
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Susan Cowan
      Susan Cowan Aurora, CO
      Addition to last comment.. James, my husband wanted me to tell you that your bucket system worked wonders for his peas.. he was very impressed and he also says thank you.. our seed catalogs just came in and we are looking forward to settling in with them
  • Ann thompson
    ann thompson Orange, TX
    All of this sounds great, but my problem was stink bugs. Ruined my whole crop of tomatoes. Make terrible spots and hard places on the tomatoes. I have tried seven dust and seven spray with no success. The only thing that works is picking them off and
  • Carol Wolfe
    Carol Wolfe Tipton, OK
    What size of garbage can did you use?
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Carol Wolfe 13 gallon kitchen garbage can, but you can use 5 gallon buckets, or larger garbage cans... just remember tomatoes need about 5 gallons of water per week per plant... so if you use a 5
  • Claudia
    Claudia Emporia, KS
    I thought it was important for the soil to dry out some between waterings. Won't this method keep the soil moist most of the time.
    • James Bryan C
      James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
      Claudia Not really... As the water does go through the bucket quite easily. If you get a good rain you delay the second watering etc.. kind of a common sense approach to it as you can over
  • Claudia
    Claudia Emporia, KS
    Thanks so much
  • Marty
    Marty Albuquerque, NM
    I;ve done the same thing in the past, only I planted mine on the outside of the wire and filled the inside with compost, it works amazing
  • Kim
    Kim Claremore, OK
    Did u use inderent or deterrent tomatoes?
  • James Bryan C
    James Bryan C Crab Orchard, KY
    It has been a couple of years now since I first made this posting. I have tried to keep up with all of your many questions and appreciate the nearly 73K shares. Since posting this original posting we have moved to a small farm in South Central Kentucky.
    • Susan Cowan
      Susan Cowan Aurora, CO
      James Bryan C I have read your business proposal on go-fund-me and would like to talk to you a bit more about this.. please message me at www.facebook.com/susan.j.cowan
James Bryan C

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing