Hometalk.com

Create a flower planter from an old tire!

My future father-in-law came up with this brilliant idea over 20 years ago to cut and flip an old tire inside out and use it as a gorgeous planter!

You can check out more pictures and see the full tutorial on my blog, Pink Hammers & Sippy Cups! http://www.pinkhsc.com/2012/07/tire-planter....

#Bestof2012

86 Comments Displaying 15 of 86 comments | See Previous
  • M. G. Knox Tucker, GA
    Tires are a great way to grow potatoes. Like tomatoes, home grown potatoes taste much better than store bought. Simply start with one tire and a seed potato. Add dirt or potting soil or natures helper or just about any growing medium. As the potato grows
  • Francine C Mesquite, TX
    Your before tire flip in the photo above would make a great sunburst for your garden wall. If you could find a round thermometer and place it in the of middle painted orange and yellow tire-flip, tie would look fabulous!
  • Sue Farmington, MO
    I have never appreciated these tire planters quite enough. That is until I attempted to make one myself.

After countless failed attempts at flipping the tire inside out I am left with one right side out tire with a quirky edge

• Shortyharris1 Middletown, RI
      @Sue, your local tire shop can flip it for free before/after you cut it.
  • Sharon Decatur, MS
    Uh oh, we forgot to add 'one strong hubby' to our items needed list ~HA!... don't give up on it Ms Sue...may just need an extra cut or two...would love to see pic of your starburst ,too
  • Carla Seif Shiocton, WI
    I could not get my tire inside out, am just not strong enough, so i screwed a rolling plant stand to bottom, painted it and planted as is. Also i used a sawzall to cut it, had some old plastic hub caps in attic that i put inside to hold dirt in while
    • Shortyharris1 Middletown, RI
      Carla Seif your local tire shop can flip it for free before/after you cut it, I still like the way these came out, nice job.
  • Carla Seif Shiocton, WI
    I was thinking I need to find some old tires that used tubes instead of steel belts, would be much easier to turn inside out! Have an old tractor graveyard not to far from me, think i'll go hunting there :)
  • Sharon Decatur, MS
    Ms Carla, love your version,too...Always wished I could have the treads seen,too...Wonder if local Tire Service Guy would be able to help...I'm very lucky to have Mr.Tex (m.31yrs ) to help me flip mine~ while rolling eyes & shaking head~ such talent!!!
  • Carla Seif Shiocton, WI
    It was my 1st attempt, as you can see the cuts are pretty awkward. Oh well try try again! Hubby tried to turn it inside out, after much huffing, puffing , and a few choice words he stomped off red in the face telling me to toss it. It was quite comical!
  • Sharon Decatur, MS
    Oh,you've done it now,Carla Self,lol... There will be much beer drinking ,flipping and betting going on all over the world,and lots of us happy folks home planting our tires...just a smilin'... BUT I can't get a picture to come up so I can see yours...
  • Ann Brownlee Fayetteville, GA
    My Mother used these planters years ago. Make sure you put them in place before filling them with soil, very heavy to move.
  • Nice ideas!! but a difficult one like it has been rightly pointed out .
  • CathyG Shasta Lake, CA
    Our Neighbor gave use two Tires already cut and flipped.. They already had some Flowers painted on the sides of them... I planted Agave's in one of them and the other one I planted an Ivy in it... A Squirrel dug a hole and put a seed in with my Agave's
  • Nelda Dundee, FL
    I drew the shape I wanted (scallops). I have tried 4-5 different knives to cut it. What did others use to cut their tires? Thank you for the idea of taking tire to a tire shop..thats where I got mine.. 1 block away.. I'm not even going to attempt to turn it!