Create a flower planter from an old tire!

Year 15 8 hours ago
My future father-in-law came up with this brilliant idea over 20 years ago to cut and flip an old tire inside out and use it as a gorgeous planter!

You can check out more pictures and see the full tutorial on my blog, Pink Hammers & Sippy Cups! http://www.pinkhsc.com/2012/07/tire-planter....

#Bestof2012

• Sharon
    Sharon Decatur, MS
    Ms Carla, love your version,too...Always wished I could have the treads seen,too...Wonder if local Tire Service Guy would be able to help...I'm very lucky to have Mr.Tex (m.31yrs ) to help me flip mine~ while rolling eyes & shaking head~ such talent!!!
  • Carla Seif
    Carla Seif Shiocton, WI
    It was my 1st attempt, as you can see the cuts are pretty awkward. Oh well try try again! Hubby tried to turn it inside out, after much huffing, puffing , and a few choice words he stomped off red in the face telling me to toss it. It was quite comical!
  • Sharon
    Sharon Decatur, MS
    Oh,you've done it now,Carla Self,lol... There will be much beer drinking ,flipping and betting going on all over the world,and lots of us happy folks home planting our tires...just a smilin'... BUT I can't get a picture to come up so I can see yours...
  • Ann Brownlee
    Ann Brownlee Fayetteville, GA
    My Mother used these planters years ago. Make sure you put them in place before filling them with soil, very heavy to move.
  • Kala Professional Restoration services
    Nice ideas!! but a difficult one like it has been rightly pointed out .
  • CathyG
    CathyG Shasta Lake, CA
    Our Neighbor gave use two Tires already cut and flipped.. They already had some Flowers painted on the sides of them... I planted Agave's in one of them and the other one I planted an Ivy in it... A Squirrel dug a hole and put a seed in with my Agave's
  • Nelda
    Nelda Dundee, FL
    I drew the shape I wanted (scallops). I have tried 4-5 different knives to cut it. What did others use to cut their tires? Thank you for the idea of taking tire to a tire shop..thats where I got mine.. 1 block away.. I'm not even going to attempt to turn it!
  • Sjb79225
    Sawzall or Reciprocating Saw
  • Carla Seif
    Carla Seif Shiocton, WI
    sawzall, I ruined my jig saw lol, was to wimpy
  • Peggy
    Peggy Duluth, GA
    Hmmmm. I would like to try this, but instead of planting in the tire, I would paint it a bright yellow (and whatever else I could think of), and hang it on the fence! Here comes the sun.
  • Sally Runnalls
    Add soil and plants to it after you hang it on the fence.
  • Hmhush
    All of these tire planters are great
  • Auriza Vega
    Auriza Vega Zion, IL
    love this
  • Greentyre
    Greentyre Israel
    We make a lot of these and believe it or not today my 7 year old can do it also. All by herself. Where it normally takes an adult to do it. Thanks to a TyreFlipper. What a machine. Extra income with very little effort. Just check the profile photo.
  • Diane Larson
    Diane Larson Mora, MN
    may be we need to try this
Pamela R