Hometalk.com

How can stains on fiberglass tubs be removed?

there are stains caused by a water well on the fiberglass tubs in a rental home that my son is renovating. Do any of you know how we can clean them?
10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • This has been a fairly frequent question here in HT. Fiberglass tubs and shower surrounds tend to scratch easy with abrasive cleaners. The result is the gel coating which provides the shiny and surface and makes it easy to clean gets damaged from the
  • Becky Madisonville, LA
    Thank u so much woodbridge for your suggestions. The act of sale is the middle of Aug so I'll try your tips then & let u know if either works.
  • Pam B Binghamton, NY
    I just tried this the other day and it works great! Put 1 c. of white vinegar in a bowl and heat it for 2 mins. in the microwave. Carefully pour into a spray bottle. Then add 1 c. Dawn dish soap. Spray on to area to be cleaned and let it sit for 2
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Pam, I'd like to try this but wondered if you can save and re-heat what you do not use?
  • Pam D Alexandria, LA
    Reheat in microwave.
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Thank-you for your quick response.
  • Shari Tampa, FL
    Since this question is a couple months old, you may have already solved the problem but in the event you haven't, I would like to add that I found Mr. Clean Magic Sponges did a remarkable job of removing those brownish well water stains from a fiberglass
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Shari is right. And so is Woolridge. They are iron stains from the well water. I like the idea also of heating the vinegar and some dawn dish soap and use a magic easer to scrub it.
  • Dianna Fort Gay, WV
    These are a little old, but I have tried all these, none take the stains completely off mine. I have city water, but my mother had well water that had iron in it and she used snow bowl when it would get too bad, took every bit of the stains off. I tried
  • Rachel Z Shippenville, PA
    Nothing has worked on mine except comet...it was a last resort. Worked perfectly.
  • Likes

Judi Ophelia laurel Stacye H Peggy