Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Cutting Down a Tree

03.24.13
I've had a few discussions here regarding trees and issues with them. If you do have a problem tree and it needs felling then this guide will provide some critical information. You should be aware that cutting a tree down can be extremely dangerous and I have covered the safety issues in the guide. Hope this helps with anyone having tree problems. http://hometipster.com/how-to-cut-down-a-tr...
11 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 11 of 11 comments
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I do not care how handy you are, cutting down trees should be left to the professionals! It is one way to get yourself or your loved ones killed! A professional has the proper safety gear, climbs the tree and cuts it down in sections which are attached
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Hometipster.com
    Hometipster.com Columbus, MS
    Jeanette - I fully agree, when it comes to medium to large trees I would leave it to the professionals. Small trees are easy enough to tackle, but preferably I would leave a tree alone unless it is causing serious problems. I've actually received a
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    This also depends a lot on the type of tree....wide branching oaks and maples are far more difficult to cut down than a telephone pole like lodgepole pine.
  • Hometipster.com
    Hometipster.com Columbus, MS
    KMS - yes that's a really good point. As Jeanette pointed out, cutting down a tree really is best left to the professionals in most cases. Personally I would only tackle a very small tree - anything larger than that, I would call in a Tree Surgeon.
  • Sherry L
    Sherry L Deridder, LA
    I have an old Oak that isn't pretty and shades my rose garden. No way could I cut it down myself but I have gathered several estimates and the cost is prohibitive so I am stuck with it. Remember if you do have a large tree cut down to keep some of the
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Rather than fire wood....some trees can be cut for use as furniture grade lumber...

http://www.networx.com/article/native-edge-f...

• Donna M
    Donna M Austinburg, OH
    Professionals can be very expensive, if you don't have that option, and the tree needs to come down, it's nice to know that you can at least get some valuable information from someone who knows. We had to cut down over 100 trees near our new home, this
  • Jan P
    Jan P Windsor, CT
    Having a 'Tree Guy' for a son....I have heard it all. He had to go out on a job once that a 'tree guy wanna be' was working (11PM) seems he underestimated the weight of the tree - and as he was cutting - it headed right towards the house. When my son
  • A Southern Tree
    A Southern Tree Roswell, GA
    Amen Jan - we get reports of death and serious injury every week (yes, week) by DIY'ers and even "professionals" - this is what keeps me up every night (and we have competent, trained and very careful employees).
  • Tammy T
    Tammy T Spokane, WA
    Ive been told that gettin a tree cut down in Nov or Feb is best, When te leaves are gone and business is slow they will give you a good rate
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Just a few months ago we spent almost $6,000 getting trees down and some trimmed. Sometimes you cannot afford to wait. There was one big one that Hubby was fearful of and wanted it to come down (Poplar, 70' tall and 3 feet across). Two arborist advised
Hometipster.com