How to edge flower beds... like a pro!

organization tips 3 days ago
My brother is a pro gardener and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flowerbeds. I get comments asking how I do my own, so today I'm sharing my secrets!

How do you edge your flowerbeds?
#Bestof2012
#itchingforspringOutdoorProjects
#BeforeandAfter
#CurbAppeal
#Makeover
#ThinkSpring
#SpringIdeas
#CurbAppeal
#JuneGarden
#OutdoorIdeas
#grow
Cost: $0.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • Isn't this edge pretty? Trust me, this is very easy to do. All you need are three tools you likely already have on hand.
Isn't this edge pretty, trust me, this is very easy to do with 3 tools you likely already have on hand.
  • This was the before. Does this look more like what you have in your own yard? Let's fix this right up!
This was the before. Does this look like what you tend to have?
  • This is a simple half moon edger. Make a nice fresh cut along the grass part of your edges in a nice smooth arc.
This is a simple half moon edger which creates the super clean edges.
  • Once the cut is made, trench out the soil with a hand held garden shovel and mound it away from the edge. Trim the grass along the edge horizontally and vertically to get that nice crisp haircut look.
Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.
  • The trench allows for water run off and soil falling, and the shadow just creates a really dazzling finish.
The trench allows for water run off.
  • I created a fun little chart that displays the process a little better. Come check out all 4 steps as well as many other after shots at:http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/how-to-edge-flower-beds-like-pro.html

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/how-to-edge-flower-beds-like-pro.html

• Dottie Unruh
    Beautiful--thank you! And what a lovely garden you have!
  • Sandy
    Sandy Urich, MO
    Gorgeous--I am extremely impressed with the edging, as I unknowing have been here at least 3-4 times. It is lovely.
  • Betsy Wilson
    Betsy Wilson Madison, AL
    Not as easy for burmuda! It always gets in the beds! It grows under and comes up in the beds!
    • Betsy Wilson
      Betsy Wilson Madison, AL
      Lol! U hv to dig a wide deep trench......Bermuda grows through EVERYTHING!!
  • Barbara Valenti
    Barbara Valenti Ponchatoula, LA
    I would love this to be done to my beds but I have some decorative stones. Looks so professional. I need to show this post to my hubby. I have tried to explain this to him and the weedeater alone just won't do this. Maybe some pics will help him see the
  • MizBruton
    MizBruton Lockport, IL
    Our edging is old and as it started to push up it's now mowed over by the tractor and looks terrible. I've been slowly doing the worst parts out. I asked a landscaper friend how to get this look and he was vague. I can't afford him so THANKS for the tips
FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna