How to edge flower beds... like a pro!

My brother is a pro gardener and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flowerbeds. I get comments asking how I do my own, so today I'm sharing my secrets!

How do you edge your flowerbeds?
#Bestof2012
#itchingforspringOutdoorProjects
#BeforeandAfter
#CurbAppeal
#Makeover
#ThinkSpring
#SpringIdeas
#CurbAppeal
#JuneGarden
#OutdoorIdeas
#grow
Cost: $0.00 Difficulty: Easy
Isn't this edge pretty, trust me, this is very easy to do with 3 tools you likely already have on hand.
This was the before. Does this look like what you tend to have?
This is a simple half moon edger which creates the super clean edges.
Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.
The trench allows for water run off.

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/how-to-edge-flower-beds-like-pro.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Marcia L
    Marcia L Wichita, KS
    I have bermuda and bind weed, will not work in this nasty clay soil, yours looks beautiful though.
  • Josephine Howland
    Josephine Howland Conway, NH
    I have been trying to make a nice clean edge for my flower bed for years. Last year I started digging a trench like this and installing that plastic black edging. 1/4 of the way done, and I fell and broke my hand! So I was out of commision for the rest
  • Carol
    Carol United Kingdom
    What happens when you mow the lawn the cuttings will go in the trench.How do you keep from this happening.......
    • Bonnie
      Bonnie Lebanon, MO
      Carol I do mine by mowing with the lawnmower wheel in the dirt trench, with the grass blow out hole blowing the grass away from the bed.. Push mower, you won't be able to do it with a rider. You can also use a weed eater if the mower doesn't cut even enough.
  • Debbie Machmer
    Debbie Machmer Canton, PA
    I've done the edging, but when grass is mowed it does collect..and I use a bag on my mower. I don't know of any way to keep it from collecting to some degree
  • Ivory Hamill
    Ivory Hamill Orland Park, IL
    I am smiling, because we have a tool like that, but I had no idea what it was used for, now I know. Thanks to you and your brother's tip, It will be used this summer.
FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna