How to edge flower beds... like a pro!

For the Garden 4 days ago
My brother is a pro gardener and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flowerbeds. I get comments asking how I do my own, so today I'm sharing my secrets!

How do you edge your flowerbeds?
Cost: $0.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • Isn't this edge pretty? Trust me, this is very easy to do. All you need are three tools you likely already have on hand.
Isn't this edge pretty, trust me, this is very easy to do with 3 tools you likely already have on hand.
  • This was the before. Does this look more like what you have in your own yard? Let's fix this right up!
This was the before. Does this look like what you tend to have?
  • This is a simple half moon edger. Make a nice fresh cut along the grass part of your edges in a nice smooth arc.
This is a simple half moon edger which creates the super clean edges.
  • Once the cut is made, trench out the soil with a hand held garden shovel and mound it away from the edge. Trim the grass along the edge horizontally and vertically to get that nice crisp haircut look.
Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.
  • The trench allows for water run off and soil falling, and the shadow just creates a really dazzling finish.
The trench allows for water run off.
  • I created a fun little chart that displays the process a little better. Come check out all 4 steps as well as many other after shots at:

To see more:

• Sandy Smith
    Sandy Smith Iron Station, NC
    Yes, Thanks for sharing!
  • Paula Chapman
    Paula Chapman Lincolnton, NC
    Cool tip!!! Thank you for shairing!!!
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I love this hint, I've used spades and shovels in the past but then I end up with wavy edges. I still have to put in edging material because it rains so much here. It's better to have too much rain than not enough.
  • Debbie Borthwick
    I have done this, and I know I should be doing it still, but I get lazy and don't always get around to it, I have sooo many gardens to do. I know, so bad...especially when yours look so amazing!
  • Four Marrs & One Venus
    That edge looks perfect-o! Nice trick..thank you for sharing!
  • Monica Koerperich
    Monica Koerperich Ocean Springs, MS
    Yes, wait till it cools down before doing this kind of work. The humidity is enough to kill you around here. LOL
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Patti H, I would do this tomorrow but the heat would kill me. But I am going to get on this next year before I plant! I love this. We have tried eveything else but nothing seems to work and it seems impossible to edge.
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    So true Molly! A garden hose that's pliable enough can be a great help!
  • Molly McCarty
    Molly McCarty Milwaukee, WI
    Nice idea, Don't forget to use your garden hose to create the curve in the first place,
  • Sally H
    Sally H Mount Union, IA
    this will now finish my landscaping that I have been doing all summer! Awesome ~ thank you for this tip!!!
  • Monica Koerperich
    Monica Koerperich Ocean Springs, MS
    Your garden looks great, so manicured, those edges really do the trick. I will have to try this one day.
  • Katherine Steinfeldt
    This is awesome, thanks for the info and beautiful photos!
  • Patti H
    Patti H Sharpsburg, MD
    I'm doing this tomorrow!
  • Glenda B
    Glenda B Maryville, TN
    Thanks for the post! I have wondered how that look was achieved and now I know. I'm gonna do it. Looks great!
  • Dyanne
    Dyanne Phenix City, AL
    Thanks for the lesson. Now, I will try this. It looks soooooo neat!
FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna

Search Feedback