How to Edge Flower Beds... Like a Pro! | Hometalk
379K Views

How to Edge Flower Beds... Like a Pro!

379K Views
My brother is a pro gardener, and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flowerbeds.
I decided to implement his method into my own garden, and created this blog post, showing the steps, not thinking much of it.
Turns out, that decision was a good one. This post turned out to be one of my most frequently visited tutorials!
And that's because this method truly works.
The outcome transforms your flowerbeds from standard to showroom, instantly! With so very few tools and a little bit of your time.
Here's how I (we) do it...
Cost: $0.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, Isn t this edge pretty Trust me this is very easy to do All you need are three tools you likely already have on hand
Isn't this edge pretty, trust me, this is very easy to do with 3 tools you likely already have on hand.
  • how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, This was the before Does this look more like what you have in your own yard Let s fix this right up
This was the before. Does this look like what you tend to have?
  • how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, This is a simple half moon edger Make a nice fresh cut along the grass part of your edges in a nice smooth arc
This is a simple half moon edger which creates the super clean edges.
  • how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, Once the cut is made trench out the soil with a hand held garden shovel and mound it away from the edge Trim the grass along the edge horizontally and vertically to get that nice crisp haircut look
Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.
Then follow up with grass clippers.
I share HERE why I prefer to hand cut over using a power weed wacker device. It makes a difference!
  • how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, The trench allows for water run off and soil falling and the shadow just creates a really dazzling finish
The trench allows for water run off. The outcome is a STUNNING result, that instantly transforms your flowerbeds into something spectacular.

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/how-to-edge-flower-beds-like-pro.html

• Aspadistra Pronk
    Aspadistra Pronk United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing. :)

• Jemma Dee
    Jemma Dee South Elgin, IL

Warning: do not fill your newly created trench with mulch. It will ruin all your hard work and allow grass to migrate back into your flower beds.

• FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna

The trench needs to remain. It just needs to be reworked a little when you weed. Just fluff it up, and freshen up the trench. The key is to keep that edge clean and the trench there. That's what makes it look so beautiful!

• Nancy Tracy
    Nancy Tracy Hazelwood, MO

Thanks for sharing. This method of free form edging of flowerbeds has always been my favorite! I was once in professional landscaping, also.

• Janelle Anne Piazza
    Janelle Anne Piazza Dunkirk, NY

Nice, I used a edging shovel sharpened it (yearly) and it's a little wider then then one used. I did my front sidewalks with my bf and I must of had 8 peopke stopping by complimenting it and afterwards asking what the hell did o do that it looks so

• Resmith
    Resmith Shallotte, NC

@funkyjunkyinteriors I love everything you do! Been a huge fan of your blog for a couple years and somehow had missed this tut! Thanks for sharing this bc it does make such a huge difference!! Simple resolve yet such a stunning result! BTW I L❤VE

­