How to edge flower beds... like a pro!

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
My brother is a pro gardener and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flowerbeds. I get comments asking how I do my own, so today I'm sharing my secrets!

How do you edge your flowerbeds?
Cost: $0.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • Isn't this edge pretty? Trust me, this is very easy to do. All you need are three tools you likely already have on hand.
Isn't this edge pretty, trust me, this is very easy to do with 3 tools you likely already have on hand.
  • This was the before. Does this look more like what you have in your own yard? Let's fix this right up!
This was the before. Does this look like what you tend to have?
  • This is a simple half moon edger. Make a nice fresh cut along the grass part of your edges in a nice smooth arc.
This is a simple half moon edger which creates the super clean edges.
  • Once the cut is made, trench out the soil with a hand held garden shovel and mound it away from the edge. Trim the grass along the edge horizontally and vertically to get that nice crisp haircut look.
Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.
  • The trench allows for water run off and soil falling, and the shadow just creates a really dazzling finish.
The trench allows for water run off.
  • I created a fun little chart that displays the process a little better. Come check out all 4 steps as well as many other after shots at:

To see more:

• Roxanna
    Roxanna San Antonio, TX
    I did this a couple of years ago for one area with lush carpet grass. Other than leaves and mulch collecting over time, it is THE ANSWER! I made a wider cut for a new bed in a back area that some bermuda is still trying to claim but bought the metal
  • Marcia L
    Marcia L Wichita, KS
    I have bermuda and bind weed, will not work in this nasty clay soil, yours looks beautiful though.
  • Josephine Howland
    Josephine Howland Conway, NH
    I have been trying to make a nice clean edge for my flower bed for years. Last year I started digging a trench like this and installing that plastic black edging. 1/4 of the way done, and I fell and broke my hand! So I was out of commision for the rest
  • Carol
    Carol United Kingdom
    What happens when you mow the lawn the cuttings will go in the trench.How do you keep from this happening.......
    • Bonnie
      Bonnie Lebanon, MO
      Carol I do mine by mowing with the lawnmower wheel in the dirt trench, with the grass blow out hole blowing the grass away from the bed.. Push mower, you won't be able to do it with a rider. You can also use a weed eater if the mower doesn't cut even enough.
  • Debbie Machmer
    Debbie Machmer Canton, PA
    I've done the edging, but when grass is mowed it does collect..and I use a bag on my mower. I don't know of any way to keep it from collecting to some degree
FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post