Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How do you locate the main water line entering your home in order to install an electric water conditioner for whole

08.08.11
house? ( The kind that you wrap the pipe with covered wire)
12 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Somewhere in your home there should be a main shut off valve. This valve should be accessible. Trace backward from your water heater, this could be behind an access panel, located in the corner of your basement or in some crawlspace. Some city lines
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Most are located in the front of the house, however if you live on a slab or crawl space that can be a whole different issue.

Follow the pipes, is the best answer to your question. Oftentimes supply pipes entering into homes will not have a meter

• Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    Tell me more about a water conditioner where you "wrap the pipe with covered wire". I'm not familiar with this system.
    These water softeners use electro magnetic waves to break down the hard water. Two wires are wrapped on opposite directions on water main and then connected to a device that sends these waves to the pipe. As the water runs through the main these magnetic
  • Hewitt Remodeling Services LLC
    Hewitt Remodeling Service... Virginia Beach, VA
    How cool is that.....I have never heard of such a thing..... I wondered "How do it do that?". Here's one website I found that explains it for those also interested. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/electromagnet...
  • John G
    John G Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. This is a hard water treatment devise. You wrap insolated wires around the inlet of the main water line leading into your home. Then the devise is plugged into an electical outlet.
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    I'm not an expert in this field but I URGE you to do lots of research before purchasing this system. There are commercial applications of magnetic technology to prevent scale on heat exchangers and boilers.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I'm also in Walter's camp about the "effectiveness" of this Non-chemical or ionic exchange method to "treat" water. Magnets, radio waves, and cosmic thought energy will never remove the calcium, sodium or iron ion from your water.
    As far as I understand these units do their job. Although I am in the same camp as KMS and Walter as well. From what I understand the system alters the minerals so they do not form as a white film. I have heard about hundreds of people that are using
  • John G
    John G Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    John...more ideas on locating the water main or the conditioner?
    If you have a slab house, check in closets, under stairs, under cabinets. If the meter is located outside and you know where that is, typically its a straight line into the house from there. So look in that general area. Attached garage? check it there
John G

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing