Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
projects 09.27.14

Bubbling rock water feature

I wanted a water feature outside my front door, but was afraid of the safety hazard a pond may pose for small children when I decided to construct this bubbling rock fountain. Here's a supply list and step by step instructions:

Supplies: 1) 5 gallon bucket and lid 2) pond liner or heavy duty vinyl 3) small submersible pond pump, I believe mine is 135 GPH 4) flexible tubing which will fit the pump and possibly connectors and smaller size tubing if you want increased pressure and higher flow 5) Hardware cloth or wire fencing with tight weave. 6) Rocks (whatever you'd like) 7) drill with Masonary bits and a regular bit 8) shovel

Instructions:

1) Drill holes into as many rocks as you'd like to stack together. *** The size of the hole you will need will depend on the diameter of your tubing. The tubing size can be reduced with different sized adapters if you want higher flow or want to drill smaller holes.

2) Dig hole large enough for 5 gallon bucket to fit completely into and perhaps be an inch or 2 below ground level and place bucket

82 Comments Displaying 15 of 82 comments | See Previous
  • Karey Gascoyne Janes
    Karey Gascoyne Janes Auburn Hills, MI
    Very nice!!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Tammi Fernandez
    Tammi Fernandez Miami, FL
    Hope you don't have dogs..those toads are poisonous to dogs and they are unfortunately attracted to the water....beautiful water feature, though!
  • Jo A
    Jo A Orange, TX
    I have a small water fountain at the end of my porch sidewalk. The cats love drinking from it. There is something about the flowing water that they love. Yours. if very nice. Thanks for sharing.
  • Diane
    Diane Kosse, TX
    Love it.

• Melanie Zimmermann
    Melanie Zimmermann Hickory, NC
    i love this idea. now you have my creative juices flowing. i wonder if i could build a fire ring around this fountain idea. any suggestions?
    • Theresa Farrell Hathaway
      Melanie Zimmermann My only thought is a lot of the fountains elements are plastic (pond liner) and the hoses drawing the water up, Then there is the electric cord for the pump to worry
  • Dorene H
    Dorene H Lehigh Acres, FL
    I love it... Doesn't look like it would attract creatures to it .. Gave me a some great ideas.. Thanks for sharing
  • Cindy Baker
    Cindy Baker Decatur, IL
    do you pull it all out in the winter?
    • Theresa Farrell Hathaway
      Cindy Baker Yes I pull it out. You could just drain the water and pull the pump to the top, but I have found no good way to really secure the hose to the pump. Its a very small pump and the
  • Linda
    Linda Augusta, GA
    Really neat!!!
  • Dee
    Dee Newfane, NY
    looks nice and easy think I will do one in the spring Had one [big one) to much to care for this one looks easy LOV the sound of running water. will check out that pump that shuts off when the water has gone down. Thanks for the idea
  • Theresa Farrell Hathaway
    I add water about once or twice a week. The stream gets smaller when the water is getting low. I had it run dry once and the pump tripped my breaker. I may have burned up the first pump I had, I just knew it didn't work when I tested it in the spring.
  • Marilyn Miller
    Marilyn Miller Kennerdell, PA
    My husband dilled a hole in a stone fo me fo the tube to go in and I put it in an old disc fom a disc harrow. Then put smaller rocks around it. I LOVE it! It sounds awesome.
  • Jeannie Pierce
    Jeannie Pierce Clemmons, NC
    I can't wait to make this, I love it!
Theresa Farrell Hathaway