Canning Cupboard Made From Recycled Pallets

Over the last few months – about every few days we get a comment or two on the canning cabinet or buffet hutch we built out of old shipping crates and pallets on our blog : www.oldworldgardenfarms.com A lot of people want to know the particulars. So we created a post on the how 2′s of building things with pallets or shipping crates – with a little extra information on the canning pantry. It's a great project – cost very little – and lets you store over 200 jars of canned goods!

We have actually made two of them – the first we built from pallets – the second from some old shipping crates and pallets. But for both – the only tools we used were a Sawzall, Nail Gun, Construction Adhesive (liquid nails heavy – duty), 3″ coarse drywall screws and a drill with a Phillips #2 screw bit (for drywall screws)

For the canning cupboard, we started by tearing apart about 4 pallets to use for the sides and shelving boards. We learned early on to not waste time trying to pull the nails from boards and remove every little speck of everything. It's time consuming, you damage way

• Mel Lea-Wood
    Mel Lea-Wood Australia
    So very clever, I love it!
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    Your canning cupboards are really nice. It makes me want to start canning again. It would be nice to have some freshly canned tomatoes again.
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    sliding shelves would be nice but I could live without. To make the cupboard lighter you could use the white coated wire shelving. They will but it to size at Home Depot. Measure carefully after your cupboard is built so the shelves will fit. the shelves
  • Kathy T
    Kathy T Hancock, IA
    Canned goods should not be exposed to light for maximum storage life. Sides and doors should be added. I use a large metal cabinet to hold the weight and keep everything "in the dark."
  • Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    That's what I need for my canning! Great idea! "Thnaks"
  • Anne McCoy
    Anne McCoy Baton Rouge, LA
    I love all of the above ideas. Where can one get pallets from?
    • Laura Salzer
      Laura Salzer Gwinn, MI
      Anne McCoy Check with your local shopping sent or hard ware store they have many of them and might sell them cheep. I know ace hard here is selling them for 4.98 dollars right now.
    • Ricky Eaton
      Ricky Eaton Winston Salem, NC
      Anne McCoy Look also on Craigslist in the free section...My area there's someone giving them away all the time...free is a good thing..:)
  • Lisa Dixon
    Lisa Dixon Cleveland, NC
    :) !
  • Kathryn
    Kathryn Austin, TX
    What a great idea. It looks like your local grocery store will be on shopper short this winter. Ha,ha
  • Drisana Merry Williams
    Drisana Merry Williams Bakersfield, CA
    I LIKE THAT THE JARS ARE PROTECTED ON ALL SIDES YET YOU CAN STILL GET TO THEM
  • K9house5
    Just a hint...take the rings off your jars. Should never store canned food with the rings on....remove the rings as soon as the jars are cooled....
  • DeniseF
    DeniseF Roseburg, OR
    Do you have the actual plans on how you did it? This is wonderful! If you have the plans I would love to share them on my blog and FB Group page. Lots of canner's there :)
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Hi Denise - Thanks so much for the compliment on the cabinet. We did create complete step by step plans after so many asked - and have them on or Etsy shop for $11.95. You can find it here : https://www.etsy.com/shop/OWGardenVintage
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Denise- Thank you so much for the compliment on the canning cabinet. We did create step by step plans after so many people asked - and have them on our Etsy shop for $11.95. https://www.etsy.com/shop/OWGardenVintage
  • Carrie Krumrie
    Carrie Krumrie Acworth, GA
    I have a pallet taken apart and canning jars that need a better home....tks. great idea!!!!
  • BINA E
    you should add on the blog, what pallets can actually be safely used as so many are chemically treated
Old World Garden Farms