Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 11 hours ago

Canning Cupboard Made From Recycled Pallets

Over the last few months – about every few days we get a comment or two on the canning cabinet or buffet hutch we built out of old shipping crates and pallets on our blog : www.oldworldgardenfarms.com A lot of people want to know the particulars. So we created a post on the how 2′s of building things with pallets or shipping crates – with a little extra information on the canning pantry. It's a great project – cost very little – and lets you store over 200 jars of canned goods!

We have actually made two of them – the first we built from pallets – the second from some old shipping crates and pallets. But for both – the only tools we used were a Sawzall, Nail Gun, Construction Adhesive (liquid nails heavy – duty), 3″ coarse drywall screws and a drill with a Phillips #2 screw bit (for drywall screws)

For the canning cupboard, we started by tearing apart about 4 pallets to use for the sides and shelving boards. We learned early on to not waste time trying to pull the nails from boards and remove every little speck of everything. It's time consuming, you damage way

42 Comments Displaying 15 of 42 comments | See Previous
  • Jeanette - Glad we could give you some inspiration! You will have to send us pictures if you build.
  • Priscilla G Bay City, TX
    am putting in new raised garden beds now, thanks for the encouragment.
  • Lorena Skiba Saint Johns, MI
    I would definitely want to add sliders on to the shelves too. My brother is a carpenter by trade. I know he could get me the slider units a bit cheaper than normal. For any who would want to do so...I would not reccomend having the sliders pull all the
  • Denny S Bremen, GA
    Everyone has said what I thought so I can add is Ditto :-)
  • Love this - great job! I don't really think a sliding shelf is feasible with all that weight! Angling like you did might allow jars to slide forward when one is taken out which would be great!
  • Mel Lea-Wood Australia
    So very clever, I love it!
  • Irene Montclair, CA
    Your canning cupboards are really nice. It makes me want to start canning again. It would be nice to have some freshly canned tomatoes again.
  • Irene Montclair, CA
    sliding shelves would be nice but I could live without. To make the cupboard lighter you could use the white coated wire shelving. They will but it to size at Home Depot. Measure carefully after your cupboard is built so the shelves will fit. the shelves
  • Kathy T Hancock, IA
    Canned goods should not be exposed to light for maximum storage life. Sides and doors should be added. I use a large metal cabinet to hold the weight and keep everything "in the dark."
  • Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    That's what I need for my canning! Great idea! "Thnaks"
  • Anne McCoy Baton Rouge, LA
    I love all of the above ideas. Where can one get pallets from?
  • Lisa Dixon Cleveland, NC
    :) !
  • Kathryn Austin, TX
    What a great idea. It looks like your local grocery store will be on shopper short this winter. Ha,ha
  • Drisana Merry Williams Bakersfield, CA
    I LIKE THAT THE JARS ARE PROTECTED ON ALL SIDES YET YOU CAN STILL GET TO THEM
  • Just a hint...take the rings off your jars. Should never store canned food with the rings on....remove the rings as soon as the jars are cooled....