Aluminum Foil Wall Treatement

Misc 09.20.15
Have old wallpaper that you want to cover up? Consider using aluminum foil to create a subtle sheen and vintage appeal. Unique and cost-effective!

• Applying the aluminum foil on top of wallpaper paste.
  • Subtle texture created by wrinkling the aluminum foil first.
  • The finished product!
  • Such an easy and cost effective solution for covering up old wallpaper!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Liisa K, you need to share your kitchen back splash please!
  • Liisa K
    Liisa K Bartonsville, PA
    I have used fishtank scenery rolls as a backsplash, looks like my kitchen looks out on an aquarium, waterproof and easy to clean. Lots of choices
  • Ellen Thompson
    Ellen Thompson Birmingham, AL
    I had to smile at this!

Helen Gurley Brown who just died yesterday at the age of 90 featured an article about a thousand years ago -- well before

• Vicki L
    Vicki L Spindale, NC
    Thanks so much. Thought it would look great as backsplash. The plexiglass idea would make cleaning a breeze! Thanks!

• Amanda @ The Ivy Cottage Blog
    Vicki L, if you click the link on the description it will lead you to a detailed tutorial including the instructions on using wallpaper paste to secure it to the wall! Enjoy!
  • Amanda @ The Ivy Cottage Blog
    Denise B and Joy Badders, I think this would be cool as a backsplash. If you are worried about it holding up, consider cutting pieces of plexiglas to place over it. This would be easy to qipe down if something spatters. Mine is sealed with polyacrylic
  • Joy Badders
    Joy Badders Elgin, SC
    Denise, I was wondering the same thing! Let me know if you try. I thought I might try a trial piece on a scrap piece of wood that I could then place in the backsplash area in my kitchen to get an idea of how it might look.
  • Vicki L
    Vicki L Spindale, NC
    I guess I'm a little behind, how does it stick to the wall?
  • Denise B
    Denise B Crestwood, KY
    Just wondering if this would be a good idea for a back splash in the kitchen?
    • Meem Kaplan
      Meem Kaplan Bay Center, WA
      Susan Howell I AM going to do a backsplash! What a great idea! If I had a camera I would do it and share but unfortunately, I left my camera on a plane and that was the end of
  • Patricia L
    Patricia L Valparaiso, FL
    Years ago I used the same idea in a bathroom,except we left wrinkles in it fot texture,looked good and held up well.
  • Ilene D
    Ilene D Spring Valley, NY
    When I was a teenager, I put aluminum foil on the basement ceiling as it wasn't finished. I wouldn't mind trying this on one wall and perhaps giving it an antiquity appearance by perhaps lightly rubbing on brown shoe polish that's in a paste form, or if
  • Tricia H
    Tricia H Charleston, SC
    I wonder how that would work on counter tops? Sealed with a tough topcoat.
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    I can remember wondering how aluminum foil would look on walls or some furniture. Now I know! lol. Very pretty. Will probably try this some day
  • Linda H
    Linda H Washington, IA
    am going to do this in my craft/sitting room/office! thanks so much for the idea.
  • Julia Seyffert
    Julia Seyffert Sarasota, FL
    Terrific idea. But since I do not have any wallpaper, just large white walls, drywall with a texture to it, will have to ask: how to get drywall smooth first?
Amanda @ The Ivy Cottage Blog

Search Feedback