Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Modernizing an 80's Oak Kitchen on a Tiny Budget

Awesome Remodels 2 days ago
Previously, this kitchen (originally installed in 1988) was too monochromatic. The color of the cabinets and the floors was too similar and the small island was lost in sea of golden oak. The awful drop ceiling fluorescent light was extremely dated and the lack of cabinet hardware only emphasized the arched paneled doors which didn't feel very modern..
I stained the center island dark brown, and painted the cabinets a warm cream color (Manchester Tan by Benjamin Moore) I added hardware to the cabinets and removed the old fluorescent lights which I replaced with 2 pendants and some LED cans. I tiled the backsplash with pencil tile to accentuate the generic granite countertops. I also updated the kitchen faucet and removed a few cabinet doors to break up the monotony of the cabinet doors.
The entire transformation (including the new Bosch appliance suite) came in under $3500. I did all the work myself, including the electrical, plumbing and tiling. The transformation took a little less than 3 weeks.
For more information about this project (including more photos and detailed tutorials) please visit: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2012/08/kitchen-...#
#BudgetUpgrade #powerofpaint #ModernKitchen
A new ceiling semi-flush chandelier and trim to hide the drywall damage replace a fluorescent box light
A pencil tile backsplash modernized the space
A dark stained island contrasts with the light cabinets everywhere else.
Before and after
Before and after (including a new 'open shelving' cabinet that had the door removed and decorative brackets added to make it feel less like a door-less cabinet
It is a huge transformation

To see more: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2012/08/kitchen-reveal-80s-to-awesome.html#

73 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 73 comments | See Previous
  • SicilianMa
    SicilianMa Elgin, IL
    Seeing the finished project helps me to design our reno kitchen counter and back splash area. I have been looking at counter tops and wall tiles. Thanks so much for sharing!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Shelly Rogers
    Shelly Rogers Ecru, MS
    what color and type of countertops are those?
    • TheKimSixFix
      TheKimSixFix San Francisco, CA
      Shelly Rogers They are just run of the mill slab granite.. From Home Depot. Sorry, I don't know the name of the stone. But it was the cheap stuff! :)
    • Michelle Smith Akins
      Love your kitchen. Can you twll me the dimensions of your island and how many feet do you have between counter and island?
  • Kala Professional Restoration services
    Your idea of remodeling the kitchen, really seems way too good, as you have done required justice to picture you had in mind. As you have created enough space for modern appliances along with mobility.
  • Veda Stougard
    Veda Stougard Des Moines, IA
    you don't even have to replace the hardware ( the hinges)... can be spray painted and looks awesome.....
    • TheKimSixFix
      TheKimSixFix San Francisco, CA
      Veda Stougard You are absolutely right..in fact, the hinges *are* spray painted. But they had no knobs/pulls before so I had to add those new.
  • Marion Nesbitt
    Very talented. Lucky you can do it all - electrical, etc.!
  • Elise Dixon
    Elise Dixon Medford, OR
    Do you mind me asking what the ballpark cost to do this was? Our kitchen looks just like the before pics, white tile counter tops and golden oak cabinets.
    • TheKimSixFix
      TheKimSixFix San Francisco, CA
      Elise Dixon We didn't replace the counters.. but EVERYTHING else came in just under $5000. However, I did all the electrical, plumbing, tiling etc by myself and I got the backsplash tile at
  • Tks9020
    lovely... What is the name of your wall paint color. Thank you.

• Michelle M
    Michelle M Knoxville, TN
    Beautiful! What color hinges did you use on the cabinets?
    • TheKimSixFix
      TheKimSixFix San Francisco, CA
      Michelle M The hinges are the original ones I spray painted blackl. They have held up really well. I have touched up one or two where the paint rubbed off (I use sharpie) and you can barely tell.
  • Lori
    Lori Canada
    It's beautiful. You have more counter space than if I put my last 3 houses together. Enjoy!
TheKimSixFix