Hometalk.com

Decor Ideas 08.02.13

How to Remove Nail Polish from Hardwood & Laminate Floors

I get asked all the time how to get nail polish off of things so I decided to start testing some of my theories. I started by painting my salon-quality nail polish on the wood floor and then I tried using hydrogen peroxide, De-Solv-It and rubbing alcohol to get it off. I think you'll be surprised at which product got it off and how EASY it was! Click here to get the answer: http://askannamoseley.com/2012/08/get-nail-p....
12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    thanks!
  • Roanna K Sacramento, CA
    I am going to try nail polish remover pads to try to get paint off a piece of my hutch. I hope it works.
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    careful with that Roanna...it will also take off the finish.
  • Kate N La Porte City, IA
    Well the nail polish that my daughter spilled 20 years ago on her antique dresser is still there, maybe I will try that, I have heard that cheap hair spray like Aqua Net works as well, although I think it has some alcohol in it
  • Linell21 Doniphan, NE
    Wonder if would work on paint on a wood floor?
  • Diane H New Braunfels, TX
    Hair spray is for ink.
  • Diane H New Braunfels, TX
    @ Anna> that page takes a really long time to load...sign of a virus. Any chance you will share the secret here???
  • Amandad37 Winder, GA
    I am a painter and I have always been told that to test if old paint is oil based or latex you rub with alcohol and if it comes off it is latex so I am not surprised that rubbing alcohol takes the nail polish off the wood/laminate flooring
  • Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Rubbing alcohol also takes ink out, which is why hairspray is always quoted as working, because it has alcohol in it...the thing to know is that you have a small window to wash it out once the alcohol is poured on...so do it at the sink with the cold
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    good advice Sharon, you could end up with a bigger problem if your not ready with that soap and water!

I remember my Mom worked at the Avon plant in Suffern,NY for many years and they always used hairspray to get the lipstick

• Vicki Stone Newaygo, MI
    well it really works my grandkids spilled bright hot pink glittered nail polish all over my wood floor and I used rubbing alcohol and took a soft scrub sponge to soak it and then the scrub side going with the grain of the wood and it is all off in 10
  • ive tried both hair and i cant get the polish to come out