Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Craft Room DIY Desk Tutorial

I have a small 10x10ft craft room in my home and needed to find a desk that would provide workspace and storage. After scouring the web and nearby stores, I figured my best option would be to build my desk using some simple supplies.

I purchased some white kitchen base cabinets from Lowe's, plywood for the base of the desktop, and laminate flooring for a finished look on the top. Add a little molding and it was perfect!

Two places to sit, 10 feet of workspace, plenty of storage, and one happy crafter!

I give step by step instructions on my site:

http://howtonestforless.com/2012/07/27/craft...

9 Comments Displaying 9 of 9 comments
  • Anne
    Anne Dallas, TX
    What an awesome idea! Reminds me of the desk from young house love
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    How awesome! You take beautiful pictures, too.
  • Lisa I
    Lisa I Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    These look gorgeous!! I'm in the market for a new desk for my own room, wish I had the time/talent to make a beautiful set like these!
  • Linda H
    Linda H Washington, IA
    I would definitely need a lot more cabinets! Like the idea of kitchen cabinets. will have to remember that.
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    What a great idea. I could use kitchen cabinets in my sewing room to store quilts. The cabinets would be deep enough to put folded quilts in without crowding the quilts. I probably have at least 25 queen sz. quilts that I have made and handquilted in the
  • Chris J
    Chris J Grand Rapids, MI
    Your pics gave me the inspiration for my own craft area makeover. I didn't put the flooring on the desk top, but used birch plywood. I need to put a coat or two of varnish on it so that the white doesn't wear off. The paint is supposed to be Dutch-Boy
  • Thrift Diving
    Thrift Diving Silver Spring, MD
    What a great job! I love it! I'm working on a crafting space right now, and if I have this much space, I totally would steal your idea ;-)
  • Christina King
    Christina King Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks for posting the tutorial! I was searching for a desk for my craft room and all were way too expensive and too small. I loved the double peg board idea as well. Now I have an amazing office/craft room with plenty of space!
  • Karen Sauers
    Karen Sauers Ventura, CA
    I made a set like this a few years ago and got recycled cabinets from Habitat for Humanity for very little money. They are a great resource for items to recycle and a good idea to find one in your area. I only wish I had paid more attention to the height
How to Nest for Less