Hometalk.com

For the Garden 7 days ago

Rustic Outdoor Summer Kitchen

(www.oldworldgardenfarms.com )When we first started to put down some initial designs on paper – one thing we didn't want was a typical brick, mortar or stone outdoor kitchen. We wanted something unique, and we wanted it to match the existing barn and reclaimed brick patio. Even more – we wanted to make it from the left over recycled barn materials we already had on hand. The only other requirement was to make sure we had enough counter space on each side to be able to easily prepare food straight from the garden to the grill.

We finally decided on a simple straight line island design. 14′ long, with a 48″ grill and burner slide-in space in the middle. Each side would then be flanked by 5 foot overhanging counters. We made the width of the counter 34″ to give extra surface room to prepare and serve foods. With limited time before a looming barn party– we opted for a simple wooden top for now to match the farm table – however- as future time allows – we really want to replace with some stained concrete countertops.

THE BUILDING PROCESS

We first built a simple 2 x 4 stud frame, leaving a 48″ space in the middle and front for the grill and burners to slide in. We

14 Comments Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • Jan P Windsor, CT
    Oh great - now here is ANOTHER awesome idea for my backyard re do!!! It looks great - and yes - we need a new grill!!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Suzy H Greensboro, NC
    This looks great! I love the use of corrugated roofing.
  • Fabulous! I really LOVE the look of the metal clad siding. The perfect treatment for outdoors too!
  • Awesome! This looks really great. We to have used tin inside and outside our home!
  • Donna C Manchester, NH
    Great job and the use of recycled materials - even more impressive.
  • Linda M Clinton Township, MI
    Great job!! So nice to see something different rather than the brick, stone, etc.
  • Sherry L Deridder, LA
    Something like this is in the future for us. Got a couple of other projects to do first like a door more convienent to the back yard and then a porch or deck. Always planning something new.
  • Glenda B Maryville, TN
    I agree with Linda M. Great to see something different from the run-of-the-mill brick and stone. I love the corregated metal roofing and recycled material. So many people want everything bright, shiny and new. Kudos to you! Looks awesome!
  • Thanks so much - we really wanted to have something that would match the recycled barn - and did not want the "traditional" stone or brick look.
  • Marian House Anoka, MN
    People used to have summer gardens, that way the house stayed cooler, I think this is a great idea.
  • Harald Kronemeyer Holland, MI
    I just bought a grill. Now I know what im going to do. :)
  • Danelle Maxwell Dayton, OH
    Love the outdoor kitchen idea, was also wondering if u have info on the pergola that you built too? Thanks
  • Cecilia Bramhall Pflugerville, TX
    very nice! Love the look!!
  • Emma Dorsey Gainesville, GA
    I am also getting ready to make an outdoor kitchen , great job!