Bungalow Kitchen Remodel

Dream Home 11.01.13

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
My kitchen started off as a white, laminate, 80s. Now, with some frugal choices, I was able to completely update my kitchen for under $12k. The inspiration for the room was a butcher block island I found for a bargain, which helped dictate the colors and architectural style of the room.

*Options I considered for this project:

I had initially debated keeping the existing cabinets, and thought to reface the doors. That's always a huge budget saver when it comes to kitchen remodels. The issues with this idea were: 1. I wasn't in love with the floorplan of the kitchen. There was a fair amount of wasted space and some elements weren't thought out properly. 2. I've always wanted an island in my kitchen, and the previous layout only had a peninsula. After a lot of planning and comparing of costs, it made more sense to start from scratch. I noticed some water damage in the large sink cabinet and some other issues that definitely needed to be addressed.

*Questions and unexpected events that arose during the project:

• This was the kitchen just before I began the demo.
  • The room didn't look awful, but it lacked a lot of function that is essential for an avid cook like me.
  • The peninsula was nice and wide, but bisected the room, and left a very tight space to pass through
  • The space after the peninsula has been removed. So spacious!
  • Slowly removing the cabinets.
  • I kept my range as long as I could.
  • A close up of the new kitchen island.
  • My pull out pantry!
  • My craftsman overhead light. This helped tie many of the colors together.
  • All finished!
  • See 6 More Photos

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post