Bungalow Kitchen Remodel

Dream Home 11.01.13
My kitchen started off as a white, laminate, 80s. Now, with some frugal choices, I was able to completely update my kitchen for under $12k. The inspiration for the room was a butcher block island I found for a bargain, which helped dictate the colors and architectural style of the room.

*Options I considered for this project:

I had initially debated keeping the existing cabinets, and thought to reface the doors. That's always a huge budget saver when it comes to kitchen remodels. The issues with this idea were: 1. I wasn't in love with the floorplan of the kitchen. There was a fair amount of wasted space and some elements weren't thought out properly. 2. I've always wanted an island in my kitchen, and the previous layout only had a peninsula. After a lot of planning and comparing of costs, it made more sense to start from scratch. I noticed some water damage in the large sink cabinet and some other issues that definitely needed to be addressed.

*Questions and unexpected events that arose during the project:

• This was the kitchen just before I began the demo.
  • The room didn't look awful, but it lacked a lot of function that is essential for an avid cook like me.
  • The peninsula was nice and wide, but bisected the room, and left a very tight space to pass through
  • The space after the peninsula has been removed. So spacious!
  • Slowly removing the cabinets.
  • I kept my range as long as I could.
  • A close up of the new kitchen island.
  • My pull out pantry!
  • My craftsman overhead light. This helped tie many of the colors together.
  • All finished!
  • See 6 More Photos
Vhbungalow