Hometalk.com

03.17.14

Can anyone give me some good reasons to get a pond? Just asking.........

Looking for some feedback from people who own ponds or have built ponds.
49 Comments Displaying 15 of 49 comments | See Previous
  • Jane Staael Bismarck, ND
    I built a pond a couple years ago, and is some work, but I love it and so does everyone else. I enjoy working around it, and it is my hobby and play time outside, then get to sit and watch the koi. I should have done it sooner.
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    I with you Bj, Jane and Honeyallen, Ponds are a great place to hang out, chill out and tinker around looking for ways to make them even more beautiful. I often here people say they wish they would have gotten a water garden sooner. Another common
  • Patricia H Malakoff, TX
    I HAND DUG MY POND WITH A SHOVEL WHEN I WAS 65 PUT IN THE LINER AND SET UP MY OWN SKIMMER SYSTEM AND BUILT A SKIPPY BIO FILTER THAT FEEDS MY WATERFALL AND STREAM. A YEAR LATER I ADDED A 2ND WATERFALL AND SKIPPY FILTER MY POND IS 12 X 22 FEET AND 4 FT
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    Wow, what an amazing story Patricia! How wonderful that you found the way to build a pond because after you built it you could see how much you can enjoy it. This is a great reason to have a pond. If you could share with us any more details of your pond,
  • Marcia Reichert Horn Lake, MS
    We dug a small pond between our air conditioner and our favorite shaded sitting area. The trickles masked the noisy unit and it's also quite soothing. We put in some feeder goldfish and they kept it pretty clean. It was also fun to watch the frogs and
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    Hi Marcia thanks for writing. How sad to read your story. What a shame you could not find the right profesional to help you take care of your pond and keep it under control. The truth is that a pond is to enjoy. If one day you dicide to have another, I
  • Melissa Gutilla Stephens City, VA
    I had a pond outside the house we rented and loved it. It was alot of work since it was built incorrectly. The rain water would run off and throw mulch and everything else it could pick up into the pond. We bought this house the first of Feb. and I can't
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    Hi Melissa, thanks for writing. That 6 inch deep ledge is perfect for installing a group of aquatic plants called marginals. They love this shallow water and will help take the nutrients out of the water that the algae compete for. It is also a good idea
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    It may be difficult to think about this now but another benefit to having a pond is that they provide a cooling affect. Ponds and water features can be a joy to hang around on a hot day for this reason.
  • Melissa Gutilla Stephens City, VA
    I actually had 2 water lilies in the pond but no marginals. What are marginals? That way I know what to put in when we do our new one in a few months. Also how deep should I make the pond at it's deepest point. The old pond was about 3 foot in one spot
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    Melissa, very good to put those Pond Lilies in! How well did they grow? Did you get lot of beautiful flowers from them? Marginal Pond Plants are a group of Aquatic Plants that normally
  • Melissa Gutilla Stephens City, VA
    The lilies did very well the first 2 years. However I didn't realize they needed to be divided until last year. So the last year they were a little bunched up and didn't do as well. But now I know! lol I def. will look at your site and take notes. I'm
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    Ok Melissa , keep us posted and take lots of pictures before, during and after. Go ahead and post them here please.
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.
  • Acorn Landscaping Rochester, NY
    Here's a backyard pond we constructed(Acorn Landscaping) in Rochester NY last year. Is anyone thinking about getting a pond installed this year?