Backyard Ponds Make Fish Keeping Fun

~_~ 12.31.15
One of the greatest pleasures of installing a backyard pond is the fish. Pond fish and koi are colorful, friendly, fun to watch, and they'll eat right out of your hand! And if you live in Northern climes, they will over-winter in the pond provided it's at least 2 feet deep and you keep a hole in the ice.

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Jackie
    Jackie Arcadia, FL
    would love one, but afraid mine would get infested with alligators
  • MaryAnn D
    MaryAnn D Ocala, FL
    Nice would love one
  • Bonnie Krebs Bartha
    I love these pics....would love a Koi pond!
  • Elaine Leduc
    Elaine Leduc Three Rivers, MA
    Too many fish!.....the pond is beautiful but, don't the fish nip at you when you go in the water??
  • Kay Holt
    Kay Holt Lynchburg, VA
    I have six ponds total - 5 in backyard, largest 12 x 20 I dug 4 years ago, has Butterfly Koi, others are preformed with Shibunkins, Fancy Goldfish, nursery pond - I keep waterfalls going all year round - wonderful! Love seeing my "babies" grown
  • Kimberly Manuel
    I have a 1000 gal horse trough with comet and shibunkins swimming in it and producing babys every year. I've had 7 of the fish for about 9 yrs now. The horses drink out of it and in the winter I put a trough heater in it to keep the ice down. Have had to
  • Zzzz...
    Zzzz... Albert, OK
    How did you know that Susan? Did you see my post here? It's missing now so I thought I forgot to hit "comment".
  • Lou
    Lou Lafayette, LA
    do snakes get in fish pond?
  • Sheila B
    Sheila B Eagle, ID
    I'm still working on my husband. We have the room. I have a small 100 gallon pond with rescued gold fish and absolutely love it, but it's time to think bigger, much bigger! Thanks for sharing!
  • Kelli E
    Kelli E Canoga Park, CA
    I have a shallow pond, way too shallow for swimming, but sometimes I have dreams that I am in a bigger pool with my goldfish. Sometimes fish that have died in real life are in the dream. Weird, I know.
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Just wow! Hard to believe we could have something so tropical looking in those regions. Cool post!
  • Lucero Hernandez
    Lucero Hernandez Saint Paul, MN
    amazing!!!!
  • Becky H
    Becky H Tampa, FL
    Carol, cost less than feeding a dog. Koi are great pets!
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    These definitely fall into the "I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it" category.
  • Angela A
    Angela A Lula, GA
    Amazing pictures! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Aquascape Inc.