Hometalk.com

09.17.12

Installing cabinets atop laminate flooring

I've heard two opposing viewpoints and am confused. If you do install cabinets first should you build up subfloor to height of flooring? This is new construction.
8 Comments Displaying 8 of 8 comments
  • how thick is the laminate flooring? It is most common that all subfloor materials be installed under the cabinetry. If your flooring is 1/4" or more I would also put it under the cabinetry. Otherwise you start decreasing the height of your toe space
  • LandlightS Roswell, GA
    Yes. You want a matching thickness underlayment for the cabinets and any open areas for the dishwasher, trash compactor and refrigerator. This way the appliances can slide into and out of place easily for installation and repair.
  • I guess the debate stems from laminate needing to "float". Makes sense but also makes sense to have it run underneath. Both methods came from the helpful folks at Home Depot and Lowes. Seemed that it depends on who you talk to because we asked at both
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Gary makes a very very good point. Trust me! We found out the hard way the importance of that when recently replacing a dishwasher.
  • Floating laminate is typically after the cabinets are installed. Subfloor - under the cabinets for sure.
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Keep in mind that laminates are considered disposable floors, and that after just a few years will look pretty sad...if these are installed UNDER the cabinets is is going to be a real bugger to replace them.
  • I prefer tile also, but this is my brother - in - laws. Can't seem to get him to make a move unless its his way!
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Yup...stubborn people often have to deal with more problems down the road because they seem to refuse to accept the wisdom and common sense of experience.