Overwintering Geraniums

Would you believe this Geranium is 5 years old? With a total outlay of approximately $10, the total cost per year is $2. When it is time for frost, bring your geraniums into the garage/shed for the winter. I hang mine from the ceiling with hooks. Let it go dormant and when March rolls around and the weather gets nicer, start putting it out in the sun during the day and start watering it. (I don't water all winter long.) It will get ratty looking, but in the Spring, remove all the yucky stuff, it'll grow back. I had about given up on this one this Spring, and look at it now!
  • Pj M
    Pj M Greenwood, IN
    i take mine in the house and they bloom all winter long
  • Nona T
    Nona T Ocala, FL
    I had a friend who had a geranium and she kept it in our office (High peaks Hospice in upstate NY) The windows were huge. It got so big that we finally ahd to place it on both of our desks or she would not have been able to do any work. We decorated it
  • Mary Lahnala
    Mary Lahnala Hubbell, MI
    Been doing this for the past 3 or more years........I just let them sit in the basemnet over the winter and in spring...Eventually beautiful flowers....again....
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Cool Becky J!
  • Becky (J) P
    Becky (J) P Highland, IL
    I had this tip published in an issue of Fine Gardening, netting me $25! (2011, don't remember what month without digging out the issue)
  • Eclectically Vintage - Kelly
    I've heard about this but never tried it but think I'll give it a go this year! Yours is a beauty after 5 years of winter neglect!!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Thank you Douglas.

Lori, that's too bad. We have other larger Arborvitaes that did quite well, but they mostly got morning and early afternoon

• Lori J
    Lori J Broken Bow, NE
    We lost all three of our Arborvitaes. They were ground planted, and I used drip irrigation all summer, but this miserable heat was more than they could take. I am not going to replant them. I am going to replace them with roses. They seemed to love the
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    @Becky: I always try to get my information from a trusted source like a university. There is a lot of misinformation out there in cyber land, although of course not on Hometalk. :-)
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Thanks for that info Douglas! I guess I'll try to keep them alive, we had them year round in Calif. they never died off from the temps and I still remember just how big they actually got...but everything suffered in the heat this year and I was the only
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    You can take tip cuttings of many of your favorite annuals and keep them through the winter with some basic care as well.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Most of our neighbors didn't water either, but their plantings were more mature than most of ours are. We've been adding to our landscape each year. It's too much work to let it go. Granted we chose to stay with our well and not go with city water so
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Becky, thanks for this reminder to folks that there is absolutely no reason geraniums should end up on the compost pile at the end of every season. This article from Iowa State University outlines three different ways to keep them going:
  • Becky (J) P
    Becky (J) P Highland, IL
    Sharron: I had no idea ferns bloomed. So see, you learn something new every day!

Becky: I know what you mean, I put in a rain barrel this summer and between waiting for the watering can to fill up and

• Lori J
    Lori J Broken Bow, NE
    I should clarify--we have a cellar without any heat. Temps drop into the forties.
Becky (J) P