Overwintering Geraniums

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Would you believe this Geranium is 5 years old? With a total outlay of approximately $10, the total cost per year is $2. When it is time for frost, bring your geraniums into the garage/shed for the winter. I hang mine from the ceiling with hooks. Let it go dormant and when March rolls around and the weather gets nicer, start putting it out in the sun during the day and start watering it. (I don't water all winter long.) It will get ratty looking, but in the Spring, remove all the yucky stuff, it'll grow back. I had about given up on this one this Spring, and look at it now!
  • Patty A
    Patty A New Milford, CT
    Some of mine are over10 yrs old and are "trees". I just bring em in every winter near a sunny window in Ct and they bloom indoors for months. I withhold fertilizer and water less frequently but deadhead religiously. Nice to have their cheery blooms in
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    @Lynn, down TO freezing, but not BELOW freezing....and depending on where you are maybe it's only a short time at freezing, which means the ground temps would still be above freezing....hear, and certainly in michigan it may be below freezing for two
  • Lynn
    Lynn Bakersfield, CA
    I live in California and I bought one and planted it in the ground 14 years ago. It gets down to freezing at least 10x every winter. My geranium has flourished and is about
  • Irma Jean Schirf
  • Christine G
    Christine G Lewistown, IL
    I have one that I've brought in every year and put in the basement for the last 14 years! I hang it up down there and forget about it until about March, then begin to water it. Trim it up and take it outside when it's warn enough and nature takes it
  • Theresa J
    Theresa J Douglasville, GA
    My Mom had beautiful large geraniums every year. Just before the first freeze, she would go outside, pull them up by the roots and hang them upside down in the basement. After the last freeze, she simply stuck them back in the ground and watered.
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    yes I was deadheading mine today and I also noticed that my caladiums are dropping from the cool temps....getting close to time to bring them in...sigh...
  • Georgia Williamson
    You can take the dirt off roots and place plant in a brown paper bag and close it up. Place it in a cool basement until next spring.
  • Marlys.Swetman
    Marlys.Swetman Minneapolis, MN
    I put some of mine in the basement, plant some in new soil and they bloom in the middle of our Minnesota winter
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    In California we had some planted in the ground and they did beautiful year round. We just had to prune them back periodically to keep them from getting too leggy. Now in Wisconsin I bring them indoors in my living roon and while they get a little ugly
  • Gail
    Gail Marion, WI
    I do not think this would work in an unheated garage in Wi where it could be -20, but could take them down in the basement.
  • Becky (J) P
    Becky (J) P Highland, IL
    we live by St. Louis. The garage's temperature gets around 40ish in the winter.
  • Carolyn C
    Carolyn C Cypress, TX
    you really dont have to take them in.....while I was in Greece and Turkey, the temperature was in the 50s and 60s and the Geraniums were HUGE and some grow wild....which tells me they faired through the winters there. I bought some last year after my
  • Pam R
    Pam R Petaluma, CA
    I don't do anything special to my geraniums.(But our weather doesn't get as cold as yours) I leave them outside all year long, they seem to do just fine where they are. In fact I think mine look better in the winter. Probably because of all the rain.
  • Jan
    Jan Arlington, TX
    BE utifull,,wonder if it will work in TX ?
Becky (J) P

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post