Hometalk.com

Crafty Stuff 01.23.14

Making Your plastic pumpkins look real!

Do your plastic pumpkins look really, really fake? Well, thought I would write a quick post to tell you how to fix this problem in just a few minutes!

All you need is some antiquing gel, also called antiquing paint from the acrylic paint section. My standby is "burnt umber".

Pour some of the burnt umber paint onto a paper plate. Add a little water and mix. Next, using a brush, add your paint to a small section of your pumpkin. Then take a dry paper towel and rub up and down your pumpkin gently. This will leave the paint in the crevices of the pumpkin. Continue this technique all the way around your pumpkin.

Once you are finished, let it dry completely. Then spray with a sealer. That is it! It makes a world of difference! Happy Fall!

To see more: http://www.decorating-ideas-made-easy.com

23 Comments Displaying 15 of 23 comments | See Previous
  • Thanks just finished doing this to 4 funkins and made the white ones look more realistic too!
  • Decorating Ideas Made Easy Murfreesboro, TN
    I haven't done a white pumpkin yet, great idea!
  • Lora Tweedy Brookston, IN
    going to do this as soon as i get back from craft store
  • Sandra Charlotte, NC
    Love this! Thanks! I will do ours too.
  • KMcG73 Hickory, NC
    So simple so awesome!
  • Paula Chapman Lincolnton, NC
    Love this...Thank you for sharing!!!
  • Very nice!
  • Dana Corby Anderson Island, WA
    You can do essentially the same effect with brown shoe polish.
  • KatieAnn Grand Rapids, MI
    thanks for posting this very useful tip. Allow me to share my tip with you for making the fake pumpkins look more real. Replace the very fake looking stem with a real one. I saved some stems from pumpkins I had last year. If you go to a pumpkin patch for
  • Robin Muldraugh, KY
    The only Pumpkins I have seen in my area I stores are the Plastic ones with the faces already on them . Can you use that kind ?
  • Virginia Hillsboro, OR
    Looks so real, thank you for the post!
  • check out the Brown Pumpkin ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1015...

• That's a great temporary fix but nothing acrylic or oil will permanently adhere to plastic.
  • LaDona Sullivan Merced, CA
    I will try this. I use pumpkin masters to carve my faux pumpkins, this can be very time consuming, but very scary pumpkins. I have carved real pumpkins several years with the same thing. I finaly got a faux pumpkin so no more carving the same thing.
  • Cindy Boyenga Tampico, IL
    the price of real pumpkins makes this worth the effort to do...thanks!