Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Making Your plastic pumpkins look real!

crafts 01.18.15
Do your plastic pumpkins look really, really fake? Well, thought I would write a quick post to tell you how to fix this problem in just a few minutes!

All you need is some antiquing gel, also called antiquing paint from the acrylic paint section. My standby is "burnt umber".

Pour some of the burnt umber paint onto a paper plate. Add a little water and mix. Next, using a brush, add your paint to a small section of your pumpkin. Then take a dry paper towel and rub up and down your pumpkin gently. This will leave the paint in the crevices of the pumpkin. Continue this technique all the way around your pumpkin.

Once you are finished, let it dry completely. Then spray with a sealer. That is it! It makes a world of difference! Happy Fall!

To see more: http://www.decorating-ideas-made-easy.com

24 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 24 comments | See Previous
  • Jennifer Decorates
    Jennifer Decorates Murfreesboro, TN
    I haven't done a white pumpkin yet, great idea!
  • Lora Tweedy
    Lora Tweedy Brookston, IN
    going to do this as soon as i get back from craft store
  • Sandra
    Sandra Charlotte, NC
    Love this! Thanks! I will do ours too.
  • KMcG73
    KMcG73 Hickory, NC
    So simple so awesome!
  • Paula Chapman
    Paula Chapman Lincolnton, NC
    Love this...Thank you for sharing!!!
  • Jennifer Pospichal
    Very nice!
  • Dana Corby
    Dana Corby Anderson Island, WA
    You can do essentially the same effect with brown shoe polish.
  • KatieAnn
    KatieAnn Grand Rapids, MI
    thanks for posting this very useful tip. Allow me to share my tip with you for making the fake pumpkins look more real. Replace the very fake looking stem with a real one. I saved some stems from pumpkins I had last year. If you go to a pumpkin patch for
  • Robin
    Robin Muldraugh, KY
    The only Pumpkins I have seen in my area I stores are the Plastic ones with the faces already on them . Can you use that kind ?
  • Virginia
    Virginia Hillsboro, OR
    Looks so real, thank you for the post!
  • Sharon W
    check out the Brown Pumpkin ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1015...

• Spyn
    That's a great temporary fix but nothing acrylic or oil will permanently adhere to plastic.
  • LaDona Sullivan
    LaDona Sullivan Merced, CA
    I will try this. I use pumpkin masters to carve my faux pumpkins, this can be very time consuming, but very scary pumpkins. I have carved real pumpkins several years with the same thing. I finaly got a faux pumpkin so no more carving the same thing.
  • Cindy Boyenga
    Cindy Boyenga Tampico, IL
    the price of real pumpkins makes this worth the effort to do...thanks!
  • Amanda
    Amanda Uniontown, PA
    What type of paint
Jennifer Decorates

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing