Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Dahlia Bulbs

09.21.12
This year I planted a few Dahlia bulbs and I am wondering about keeping them for next year. I know I have to take the bulbs out of the ground but do they have to stay in dirt with some foliage or what? Mary Jo
3 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 3 of 3 comments
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I planted Dahlias for the first time ever this year and I must say I do not think I will keep mine or ever plant them again. Perhaps it was the drought conditions we have....????
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • TRD Designs Ltd.
    TRD Designs Ltd. Katonah, NY
    we take the bulbs out for clients. we remove all of the soil, wrap in news papper, place in 5 gallon buckets with sand covering them and then keep them in a cool dry envirrionment for the winter,
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    In zones 8 and warmer, dahlias can be overwintered in the ground. Otherwise you need to lift them. After a killing frost, cut the foliage back to 2 to 4 inches above the ground. Lift each clump separately with a spading fork and gently brush the soil off
MARY JO R